Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2011, 03:18 AM
Site Admin

Default Clark County residents, let your voices be heard!

Take The Statewide Transportation System Survey and let them know where you think our money should be going!

http://www.voiceofwashingtonsurvey.org/
Old 10-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Site Admin

Default Vancouver & Washington state residents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc View Post
Take The Statewide Transportation System Survey and let them know where you think our money should be going!

http://www.voiceofwashingtonsurvey.org/
Glad you posted that; you beat me to it!

I went ahead and did the survey. It is quite extensive, took me maybe 20 minutes to complete. It has a bookmark feature so you can come back to it later if you get interrupted, and a graphic at the bottom of each pages tells you how far you are through it. It is a very well constructed survey, with both specific and general questions, and double-checks, mostly tick-box preferences but a few free-form text fields. It is done for the Washington State Transportation Commission by surveyanalytics.com.

I made sure to mention the Common Sense Alternative (CSA) to the Columbia River Crossing (CRC) in one of the text fields.

Just to give an idea about how in-depth and informed the survey gets, I found it interesting that two of the questions were framed with these factoids:

The state primarily provides funding for state highways, bridges, and the ferry system, as well as providing funding to cities and counties for transportation needs. Local jurisdictions and the federal government provide most of the funding for transit.

Washington State ferries carry 23 million passengers a year and are part of the state highway system just like bridges or highways. Ferry users pay about 70% of the ferry's operational costs and state tax revenues provide the other 30%. The state also fully funds the capital needs of the ferry system, such as buying new boats and making ferry terminal improvements.
BTW, here's another nudge for a Vancouver Forum or Clark County Forum, for threads like this.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:30 AM
Site Admin

I feel that the survey is important to anyone concerned with the future of Washington Transportation Allocations. I do feel that this impacts residents of Multnomah County and beyond. The results of this survey will be presented to the Heads of State in the future.

Ferries are the last thing most WA residents think of concerning Transportation outside of the Sound region. It was difficult for me to answer some questions that are foreign to the community I grew up in.

Some questions threw out possible answers to existing transportation issues like: "Widen and build more roads." As a person that has lived briefly in rural areas of Washington state, I can force myself to see this as an acceptable answer to situations that exist in those specific regions. Overall, It disgusts me. The survery was difficult at times for this reason. It asks residents of their opinion of statewide or regional issues of which is difficult to answer due to ignorance.

The survey gives you multiple opportunities to clarify your answers. It is also organized in a manner that makes the survey taker feel as if their words will be heard.

To support Alan's motion of a Clark County forum, I feel it would be a welcomed addition. Perhaps too premature however? I personally don't think there is enough involvement as of yet to support another forum. I sometimes make an awareness to fellow bicycle riders of the Bikeportland website and they are questionable as to how it would apply to Clark County. Perhaps an awareness issue? I do feel there is enough room on this website to accommodate the booming and uprising Southwest Washington bicycle community. I dont mean to change the subject, but I definitely see this site growing in regional popularity over the next few years as bicycling becomes of greater interest to the community at whole.

Last edited by dmc; 10-11-2011 at 04:09 AM. Reason: grammar :) (still not perfect)