Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Site Admin

Default Oregon CIty Bridge

I can't tell from the ODOT postings or news reports whether the Oregon City bridge is closed to bikes/pedistrians. It sounds like its closed to cars. Construction estimated to start this summer.
I have ride in mind for Saturday and don't want to get stuck on the wrong side of the Willamette in Oregon City.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Site Admin

When it's closed, it'll also be closed to pedestrians & bikes. ODOT is supposed to start running a shuttle bus to get pedestrians & bikes across the river, via the I-205 bridge.
It sounds like the exact hours & details of that service are still TBD, but in one report,they did note that it would focus on weekday commute hours, since commuting was considered higher priority than "recreation".
I doubt you'll experience any closures this Saturday, since it sounds like the full 2-year closure won't start until January 2011.
More info at the links below.

Johnathon's report on the closure & shuttle
working group's report on the proposal
Old 03-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Site Admin

I asked about the status of the bridge on the Shift list back at the start of February, and received this informative reply from Matt Pico:

A review of the project was requested, which delayed the bid date, and set the schedule back. The bridge is not currently closed, and will probably be open until the end of summer (don't count on it, but there is a high likelihood). Project information is here:

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/REGIO...Br/index.shtml

The current plan is for Tri-Met to run a shuttle service across the river on the I-205 bridge, which is not open to bicycles or pedestrians. The shuttle will not run 24/7. A number of local advocates, the BTA, and the Clackamas County bike/ped advisory committee have all expressed concerns to ODOT about this arrangement, and a number of alternatives were proposed that have been rejected by ODOT. Jonathan Maus ran a couple of stories on the closure in bikeportland:

http://bikeportland.org/2009/08/11/o...cess-solution/
http://bikeportland.org/2009/04/27/o...-year-closure/

That pretty much sums up the current situation. I strongly encourage you to contact the Region 1 contact person, or email Basil Christopher, Region 1 bicycle coordinator or blah and tell them your opinions on the project and the proposed arrangements if it will impact your travels.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/HWY/REGION1/contact_us.shtml

Basil.R.CHRISTOPHER@odot.state.or.us
Old 03-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Site Admin

Default Good to go

Thanks! Weather looks good for Saturday. Glad to hear the bridge is open. For now. What a mess that will be. OC residents are really going to be isolated when that happens.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:06 PM
Site Admin

Default Bday for the old guy

Hey Oldguy...just temporarily hijacking this thread to wish you a Happy Birthday !! (happened to notice the announcement on the bottom of the main forums page) On this rainy Oregon day, I hope a mystical umbrella decides to hover over you and keep you dry wherever you ride.