Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Site Admin

Default Stub Stewart State Park

Does anybody have good directions out to Stub Stewart State Park from Vancouver, or the East Side of Portland?

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:02 PM
Site Admin

Default to Stub Stewart

this link (see Map 1) shows a good route to Stub Stewart:

http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...x.cfm?c=39890&
Old 03-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Site Admin

You could check into how far along they've come with the Crown-Zellerbach linear trail out of Scapoose up to Vernonia. From there, take the Banks-Vernonia Linear Trail into Stub Stewart.

Contact Erica Ryberg as she has more current info than I do. Here's a link to one of her recent articles regarding the route (look about 1/2 down the 1st page for a section titled "Pedalling Greenbacks")
http://www.spotlightnews.net/news/st...65182671517200
Old 03-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Site Admin

This past Saturday, I rode out to Banks and then Buxton from my place on the east side of Vancouver. I just got on US 26 from downtown Portland and rode it until the end of the freeway. It worked great for me in both directions, but probably not for most people. Once you get to Banks, however, you've got the rather nice BanksĖVernonia Trail to take you there, although I only took it to the trailhead north of Buxton before cycling back to Vancouver. I'll have to make it all of the way to Vernonia sometime.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Site Admin

That must have been one hell of a ride up 26 past the zoo and across all the freeway exits... Probably wouldn't be all that bad during rush hour when traffic is a stand still...

Went out to Stub Stewart park the other day, didn't like the campgrounds at all. They cut the forest down to build campgrounds, and after removing all the nice big trees they then planted little baby ones to replace the hundred plus year old trees they just cut down WFT!!. It looks more like a trailer park than a camp ground. Replaced the dirt with gravel for the tent sites, so you have to lay the tents onto nice sharp aggregate and cut up the tent floor... and no buffer zone between you and your neighbors, although I donít suspect it will be a popular place among the dying breed of tent campers. I just found it a rather horrible 21 century campground. Itís another stupid RV Park. Iíll just take enough food and do some guerilla (aka stealth) camping on the way to the beach, thatís if I donít feel like making the trip in one day.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Went out to Stub Stewart park the other day, didn't like the campgrounds at all. They cut the forest down to build campgrounds, and after removing all the nice big trees they then planted little baby ones to replace the hundred plus year old trees they just cut down WFT!!. It looks more like a trailer park than a camp ground.
Biker in NE, I'm guessing you didn't check out the hike-in campsites?

A group of us went to Stub Stewart over the weekend and had the polar opposite experience to what you had. We went into the Hike-In sites area which is divorced from the main loops by a half-mile. No RVs and under lots and lots of trees. You have to go down and then up a steep gravel road to get to them, and there's only a pit toilet and water spigot, so you have to go to the main loop for everything else. But no yahoos! And only $6 a night in the off-season!

Tomas took a photo of the campsite to give a better impression:

As for the "cut down" appearance of Stub Stewart, the park is a new park built out of land that was former lumber company property. So it's been fairly recently logged, though most likely by the lumber company years back, not by Oregon State Parks. I do agree w/Biker in NE about the general look of the main campground with its gravel and catering to the RV set (as many state parks already do), but if you go into the Hike-In campsites, you won't have to deal with that at all unless you want to go take a shower.

And they did build a "walk-in" camping area in the main camp loop that has grass to pitch a tent on. But it's nowhere near as nice as the Hike-In Camp.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Site Admin

ah, that must have been you I saw heading east on Hwy 26 by the 185th St offramps Saturday evening. There's much nicer and more scenic ways to get to Banks that do not involve riding on the freeway shoulder and are not any more challenging. Just sayin'