Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpl View Post
Ditto on both counts! I can't seem to open the large PDF.

Scott
I'm glad I wasn't the only one having issues trying to open the PDF. I, too, requested a hardcopy.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Site Admin

Today I received the map by snailmail. I have to say, it is a lot more than I expected. Not only can I find Cook Park... it has details about the park! Also nice is the elevation hints... you'll have to see this

It is printed on quality paper and comes in the approximate size of a normal road map. Highly detailed and easy to read, this will easily fit in my bag and have it on hand any time I am in the Tigard's neighborhood.

Way to go, Tigard! Much appreciated.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:39 AM
Site Admin

Mine arrived via the post yesterday, too. Really is a great map. I hope that some of the other cities around use it as a basic jumping point (not base-jumping point) for inspiration for their maps.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Site Admin

I too received mine yesterday and was very impressed. I sent an email of appreciation to the folks listed at the bottom of the page where you can download/request it.

Now if only Tigard's bike infrastructure matched the quality of its map...

Scott
Old 03-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Site Admin

Received the map; Thanks Tigard, as well as to everyone that worked on it and got them in the mail so promptly to us!

It's a generally quite a nice map.
  • The 22 by 17 size makes it easy to handle on the road and in the wind.
  • The scale of the map is large...almost an inch to the quarter mile.
  • This map also has the little black arrows indicating climb as does the Portland By Bike map. What this map has that others mentioned in my earlier post do not have, is topographical elevation lines that help to indicate the terrrain. My eyes aren't so sharp, so I've mostly got to use a magnifying glass to read the small type labeling them. Still nice to have the topo lines though.
  • Area within Tigard city limits on the map are rendered in simple white. That works good, makes a nice contrast with the color marked roadways and black type for street names. The map uses a gray overlay for areas on the map outside of Tigard City limits. I wish the gray used would have been a little lighter tone, but otherwise, it's nice to be able to easily note where Tigard city limits are.