Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Exclamation West Side Trail Safety Problems...

Called Washinton County Commissioner, Dick Schouten, today about a problem I've had on the Fanno Creek Trail.

On more than one occasion, I've had to call Non-Emergency Dispatch for issues concerning trail safety (lost/abandoned/stollen bikes, flooding), and after hours maintenance issues (large trees blocking the trail, etc.) and then I spend a lot of time explaining where the trail is to the Dispatcher. They are completly are locked into "nearest cross streets" and often don't know where the trail is located.

My fears are what would happen if it was necessary for someone to call 911 for an actual emergency. What would happen if they weren't from the area, and not familiar with the cross streets. Myself, I have ZERO idea what the name of the streets that flank the trail are, unless they are on my commute route. How would I be able to get an Ambulance, or a Police response to the trail?

I'm suggesting that the dispatchers get training (and maps) on the all of the trails in the region. I'd also recommend improved signage so someone could say, "it's over by Scholls Ferry Road", without having to leave the trail itself.

Dick will talk about this next Wednesday.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Old 01-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Site Admin

Some highways use milepost signs where nearby cross streets aren't available to help with orientation. Maybe something related could be worked out for Fanno; a simple indicator post with the cross streets name at the entrance to the trail at each cross street; smaller scale trailside markers every quarter mile or so along the trail midway between cross streets.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Site Admin

Your concerns are not unfounded.

I know of a bike on bike accident on the 205 path in Vancouver where it drops down from the bridge. One cyclist was unconscious. The other cyclist called 911 and they needed a cross street to respond. He didn't want to leave the injured rider to determine the cross street. Luckily another cyclist came rode down and got the name of the street, which is SE 23rd St.

The 911 dispatcher didn't know how to direct emergency personnel to the bike path.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Real World situation...

Thanks Canuck..

I can't believe the timing... Last night I crashed on the Fanno Creek Trail. I wiped out on the dirt (mud) ramp leading up to SW Hall. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt, and someone did stop to see if I was OK (I was).

My concerns is, had I really needed medical attention, I worried that EMS could have been delayed.