Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > All About the West Side
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Site Admin

Lightbulb Any suggested Beaverton area bike map revisions?

greetings westside cyclists -- Iím starting in on updating the City of Portland bike map, and thought Iíd ask if there are any suggestions for revisions/additions/corrections, etc. needed for the west Portland / Beaverton area (or any part of the map, for that matter).

You can contact me directly (see below info), or post here and i'll check back.

Hereís the link to the Beaverton inset map:
http://www.portlandonline.com/shared....cfm?id=189749

& the PBoT overall bike map page, which has the legend:
http://www.portlandonline.com/transp...34809&a=181308

At this point Iím aiming to have all changes to our graphic artist by the end of February. Thanks for your help -

Jeff Smith
City of Portland Bureau of Transportation
Transportation Options
1120 SW 5th - suite 800 - Portland, OR 97204
jeff.smith@pdxtrans.org
www.GettingAroundPortland.org
Old 12-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Site Admin

This must be the map titled Portland By Bicycle, approx dimensions: 19" by 27".

Pretty good map for the most part, including the Beaverton section of the map. If the Beaverton map could switch its square area on the map for the longer, rectangular area allotted to the maps 'Resources' section, then it might be able to show Aloha in its coverage at the maps present, relatively easy to use scale. Including some of Tigard would be good too, but I don't see any easy, practical way that could be done.

Really, the Westside needs a separate map the size of the Portland By Bicycle map taking in as much as possible of the area west of the Sylvan ridge.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Site Admin

Jeff, you should contact Mike McCarthy at the city of Tigard about all the work we've been doing over the summer/fall about a City of Tigard bikey map. He can help you out as far as revisions/additions/whatevers.

I would say that your map at the least needs to include more of the outlying areas that people come from/go to. The City of Portland is not an island or a castle surrounded by a moat! All roads are connected to somewhere.

At the very least, reference where people can get more information about the cities they have entered so they can get informed.

Maybe include more of the major bike routes to/from the 'burbs outside the city of Portland? Go SOUTHER on the main map!!

Just some ideas....
Old 12-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven_kd7yct View Post
Maybe include more of the major bike routes to/from the 'burbs outside the city of Portland?
I would be *very* interested if the bike maps had specific route recommendations on the best way to get from Portland to Beaverton, Portland to Hillsboro, etc. Make some sensible assumptions about the start and end points and show the safest way to get there.

I would definitely ride more often West of Portland if I felt more confident in picking a route. Bycycle.org is may main resource but I have no idea whether it is directing me to a high-traffic street because there are no other options.

Finally, thanks for the work that you do - these maps are like gold to cyclists like myself. I rely on them regularly, having only lived in the area for about a year now.

Scott
Old 12-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Site Admin

Here is what I sent to Jeff. If this helps any of you navigate around, that's good

Here are a couple of my preferred routes -
Dropping down to Canyon from the Sunset MUP or going back up. My preferred route:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3352443

You also see that this route gives access to SW Cabot, which crosses over Hwy 217 and dumps onto SW Center, etc...

For EZ access to the Beaverton Fred Meyer, I take SW McBridge Place (THIS IS A CORRECTION), rather than SW 117th, which dumps me right across Canyon into Freddies. There is even a traffic light, making crossing SW Canyon easy. Unpainted nasty speed bumps, though.

Further west, the map cuts off the important Cornell-SW 158th connection. When heading east, turning left onto SW 158th, then immediately left onto NW Waterhouse. At that point one can get into Tualatin Hills Park and Rec and off the main roads. I always have an internal mental relaxation when I make that turn, heading eastward toward home.

Also, not documented, possibly because it goes through parking lots, heading south on SW 107th, cross Beaverton-Hillsdale, wander among the buildings, and pop out on SW 5th.

You probably can't show this one either, but, heading south on SW Lombard (right where the map goes all dotted red), you can get over to SW Millikan by going off-road behind the apartment building just south of the bridge over the creek. There is a nice path worn in the grass I love it. EZ access to Bike Gallery for me!

SW Hocken to SW Center - while a private road through the Cedar Hills Crossing shopping center, is pretty decent, even though there is a lot of traffic. They can't be in a hurry there.

What I myself would like is a Metro map, rather than a Portland map. All this geographic divisions make getting from point a to point b interesting, sometimes. But I'm glad you have the Oregon Electric Trail entrance marked. I can never find it on my own!

Last edited by lynnef; 12-04-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Site Admin

I believe the route between Walker Rd and the start of the Sunset MUP that's shown on the gmap cited by lynnef is better in some respects than the route between the Sunset MUP and Canyon Rd (uses Scenic Rd and Garden View Rd)shown on the Portland By Bicycle map; it's less steep and does do a better job of connecting with Central Beaverton/Beav Town Sq Freds. Actually, by bike, I think this route is likely also better for people wanting to go to Cedar Hills Crossing (groceries, electronics, books, cinema). It avoids busy Walker Rd and Cedar Hills Blvd.

Note also on the Portland By Bicycle map that another of the streets indicated as generally connecting with the Sunset MUP...Roxbury, is very steep going to the MUP. People might appreciate the map having some of those 'climb' arrows on the route using that street.

My own preferred route traveling west from Sylvan to Beaverton is Raab Rd and Canyon Drive on the south side of Hwy 26. Part of this route, from Scholls Ferry Rd to West Slope is shown on the larger side of the Portland By Bicycle map. For me, fast traveling Canyon Rd from West Slope to Walker Rd isn't quite so much fun though...to climb or descend.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Site Admin

Thought of another thing, sparked by something WSBob said...

Indicate steepness of hills with one, two, or three chevrons pointing the direction of "up".

Too often, I'll look at the Portland bike map and not know that a route I've chosen is maximum hilly-- especially if I'm not familiar with the particular area.

And sometimes, that keeps me from expanding my horizons, so to speak.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Site Admin

+1 on simple, minimal, indications of incline.

I love maps but colored contour maps are not very readable under all the streets. I think the Bike There! map from 2002 had elevation color contoured in; it was removed. Realistically, with all the other color coding, it was difficult to convey all the incline info anyways.

USGS style topographic maps provide the needed information but the density of map symbology makes them some of the most difficult for the average person to use.

Easy, easy, easy. This map is for people that want the easy route not people looking to ride De Ronde van Oeste Portlandia.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Site Admin

I think a short "difficult connection" designation could be added from the north end of Erickson, down Farmington a long block to Hocken. I've used that route frequently in the past.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Site Admin

Just a note: some of you reading may or may not realize that the 'Portland By Bicycle' map being discussed does already use 'steep hill' arrows. I called them 'climb arrows' in the earlier post...I should have checked the map legend to get the correct term the first time.

The arrows are a little inconspicuous. Not to say they should be bigger or smaller than they are presently, but some people looking at the map might not realize right off(I didn't!) that they actually indicate steep hills or a climb. Actually now that I think about it, I prefer the term 'climb' rather than 'steep'. There's something psychologically more uplifting about it.

I don't know how much this map costs to produce, but it would be great if municipalities on the west side could get together to produce a map that would represent the west side on the bigger side of a map with the dimensions of the 'Portland By Bicycle' map. The bigger size would allow for more street names, maybe better elevation info, and so on. It's important though, not to allow the map to become hard to read as Q`ztal refers to...because of putting to much info or detail into the map.

Ron C...looked at the map regarding the route you suggest. I'm guessing it's not already indicated because it's probably not advisable to be having people try to make left turns on busy Farmington Rd. Of course, it's not busy at all hours of the day... .

Last edited by wsbob; 12-04-2009 at 11:05 PM.