Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2009, 01:37 AM
Site Admin

Default To the guy who flipped me off

at 26th at Clinton- I would have given your turn at the 4 way stop.... if I could have seen you!

Get a damn headlight. and some manners.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:48 AM
Site Admin

I had a lady yell at me last week... "learn how to pass" after I rang my humongous bell 4 times before I passed her. Don't take it to heart, he was probably just pissed about something else that happened today.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Site Admin

It just sorta illustrated to me the no headlight issue- The dude thought that it was his turn (and it may well have been) but in the dark I didnt see him. As a regular cyclist I do my best to keep an eye out for bicycles but I cannot yield to what I cannot see. We both did the double take and brake, and as I was in front of him and we were stopped I continued on my way through the intersection. Thats when he gave me the wrong half of a peace sign.

My point is- if you ride around in the dark w/o a light, don't be surprised if no one sees you.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Site Admin

Many people likely don't realize just how invisible they can be on their bike if a headlight is not mounted and lit up on the bike. I was walking the other night when one of these people passed by. With the speed he was traveling, I didn't really notice him until he was about 15 feet away. He was on the other side of the street, riding in a right to left direction past me as I was thinking of crossing the street.

It isn't that he was not visible...he was...but that he was very difficult to see. It wasn't a close call, but was more proof to me how important it is for people to understand the need of lighting or means to make them visible while they're on the bike. If I'd been a cop, I would definitely have stopped this guy and given him a ticket for not having a light. If one was available, I would have had him attend some kind of traffic class so he could better appreciate just how hard it can be to see a person on bike without lights.

Good, really bright lighting may be close to getting much cheaper, soon. Recently, I posted a comment on one of the lighting threads about the MagicShine headlight system that people over on bikeforums are going nuts about. It sounds as though hundreds...thousands... of people are ordering this system. Reports posted on that thread regarding its durability and performance, seem to indicate that it's generally holding up well: around $100 for 600-700 actual lumens requiring only a 4 cell battery pack with 2-3 hours run time.

That's still quite a bit of money for a lot of people to be forking up, but it does get closer than most mainstream brand light manufacturers presently do, towards being an affordable, practical light that provides a lot of illumination for the effort and expense involved in keeping it maintained. Something slightly less bright, lighter, using a 2 cell pack with a price of about $50 could help to make such a light be more commonly used as standard biking equipment.

Still, as most of us here are likely to well understand, many people will continue to blithely ignore the importance of illumination for safe cycling despite the availability of affordable, bright bike lighting...they do already! It would cost money to do it, but with increasing numbers of bikes on the road, strengthening and enforcement of lighting requirements for bike use may have to enter the picture to get a reduction in the number of people that ride around inadequately illuminated.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Site Admin

Default "Frog" lights, street-pizza, winter conditions

Poor, mentally challenged, self loathing, or some combination of these three people use these as their PRIMARY lights , ONE LITTLE LED, with some hearing aid battery in it. Like cable locks something is better that nothing, but at least if your cable lock fails it's only your lock that hits the pavement. smack.

Rant Rant- stupid stupid little lights, why not just ride down the street flicking a BICK lighter?, it's flint is likely brighter. Please Please get a real bike light so we don't have to read about your broken body and cry all those stupid stupid salty tears for all you could have been.

You know who you are.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Site Admin

I have a low run time TrailRat light. I think its a 10w halogen. To make sure it stays lit on my 2h round trip commute, I run one of those small blinky type lights while it is still a bit light out, and on low hazard areas.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Site Admin

I guess I'm in total overkill mode then-- I have a bright headlight on my handlebars (with high and low beam settings, but no blinking) and a frog white led in blink mode on my helmet. I also have an extremely bright red rear blinking light mounted on my bike and a frog red led in blink mode on my helmet facing backwards.

I also wear a fully reflective jacket, and have other reflective bits on the rest of my clothing and bike....

I've noticed that with my white frog light, I can easily light up the reflective street signs on the other side of the road when looking that direction. I'm not sure the oncoming traffic appreciates my lights.

Of course, I'm not as overly-lit as, say, K'Tesh...

But, I agree with the poster who rants about the ineffectiveness of some people's lights. I gave a lot of thought about my lights and set them up to be as effective as I can (yes, I went outside and annoyed my neighbors. They think I'm crazy anyway), but not everyone thinks.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkmojo View Post
at 26th at Clinton- I would have given your turn at the 4 way stop.... if I could have seen you!

Get a damn headlight. and some manners.

Wow! That's close to my old stompin' grounds! I grew up in the big white house on the southeast corner of 66th and Clinton! We had many accidents on that corner, which was listed in the Oregonian as one of the 100 most dangerous intersections in Portland!