Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Site Admin

Default Yo roadies, I need a new loop.

I've worn a groove in my standard Kelley Point loop (Skidmore-Williams-Ainsworth-Willamette-Lombard-Marine Drive-33rd-Skidmore). I need a new ride!

What's your favorite go-to, in-town training loop? I'm looking for: 20-25 miles, leaves from inner PDX, suitable for tempo riding (e.g. not the Esplanade).

Help me, oh wise BikePortland brain trust...

tia,
Fred
Old 10-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Site Admin

I'm curious to hear people's favorites as well.

When I'm looking for something new myself I usually hit one of the many bike route mapping sites and search for rides near my zip code:

http://connect.garmin.com

http://www.mapmyride.com

http://www.bikely.com

There are a lot more than just that, but those will get you started.

http://www.rubbertotheroad.com is also a great site with nice routes of various distances and difficulty levels.

If you need something that completely avoids the bike paths, I don't have much to suggest. Loops around the West Hills are likely to be your best bet.

Scott
Old 10-26-2009, 03:59 PM
thumbprinter

as zpl mentioned, the west hills make a good challenge and the roads are often lightly travelled during the late morning/early afternoons..

lately i've been crossing @ b'way bridge, heading up cornell/thompson to skyline, continuing north on skyline, descending the east side of germantown to willamette. that makes roughly a 20-25 mile loop depending on where you start/end. if you want more climbing its easy enough to drop down the west side of the hill and go back up on any number of streets...
Old 10-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Site Admin

Default couple of ideas

Sauvie Island loop is good if you can handle hiway 30 traffic. I prefer Blue Lake loop via Marine drive or add a hill with Stark street Bridge loop. Consider showing up to the Portland Wheelman Thursday night ride which starts at Wilshire park then goes up Rocky Butte, then Freemont, Airport Way to 181st and loop back via Cornfoot. All these suggestions run about 25 to 30 miles. Thursday night PWTC ride starts at 6:00PM, they ride fast but its a regroup and its good to have company. cheers!
Old 10-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Site Admin

Default Germantown???

One more suggestion... just my opinion... avoid Germantown due to slippery turns and high speed autos, stay on Skyline for another 2 miles west and descend to hiway 30 via a mostly car-less Newberry road. It adds miles and has few if any cars. and if you need an additional challenge drop down to 30 via MacNamee which is 1/2 mile further west on skyline but ends up 3 miles west of Newberry on 30. Less cars more hills more miles what more could you ask for?
Old 10-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbprinter View Post
lately i've been crossing @ b'way bridge, heading up cornell/thompson to skyline, continuing north on skyline, descending the east side of germantown to willamette. that makes roughly a 20-25 mile loop depending on where you start/end.
In fact, here's a video I took earlier this year during one of those rides:

http://vimeo.com/5657770

Unfortunately the camera angles kinda sucked during the Germantown descent, but it's a fun momento I managed to keep of that ride.

Enjoy,

Scott

Last edited by zpl; 10-26-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:07 PM
thumbprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcycle View Post
avoid Germantown due to slippery turns and high speed autos
but that's what's fun about germantown! one time i passed a car on the way down (they kindly pulled over as i was catching up to them)...

going down the west side of germantown is also very fun, bigger turns and slightly better visibility on that side.

i do my best to ride when there will be the least car traffic. and i'm not into climbing g-town on either side (i'll do old g-town coming up the west side on occasion though).
Old 10-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Site Admin

Default Thanks all

Thanks all for the good suggestions. I know/do most of those West Hills rides, but I'm too slow a climber to knock those off in less than 90 minutes. (Agreed, however, that descending east-side Germantown is lots of fun, esp. now that they've re-paved a lot of the bottom.) That's why I keep coming back to the Kelley Point Loop, I can squeeze it into a busy day and still get a decent (albeit flat) ride.

FWIW, my favorite climb up the West Hills is Logie Trail. Lots of bang for the buck and often completely car-free. The woods smell great back there...
Old 10-27-2009, 11:48 AM
thumbprinter

i haven't tried logie trail yet; i'm not into riding on the 30. i suppose i'll make my way up there at some point though...

as for other rides, you could certainly head out to rocky butte and back in that timeframe, you would probably have time to go up 2 or 3 times.. or mt. tabor... or both....
Old 10-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Site Admin

Default A little longer, but works for me

The path I've nearly worn out is from Mt Tabor to 205 bike path then east on Springwater till it ends. Go left. You'll carefully cross Hwy 26 then meander through a short stretch of suburbia to 257th or NE Kaen (depends on your meandering). Down past Troutdale and under I84 to the Troutdale airport. Take the scenic route to the right around the airport and you'll end up at the northern edge of Marine Drive. Head into the wind either to PDX, 205, or Delta Park depending on the distance you want to do. You could even keep going and follow your tracks over to Kelly Point and back through St Johns.
Distance roughly ranges from 45 (cutting off at 205) to 70 (if you go around Kelly Point)