Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Newbie Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Site Admin

Talking Portland-bound in 37 days!

Hello everyone! I'm Sonya, originating from New York about 60 miles north of NYC but currently surviving and finishing my education in Philadelphia, PA. I'll be moving to Portland with my boyfriend in the middle of August and we can't wait to bike the wonderful streets of Portland! After battling the streets of New York City and Philadelphia for the last 3 years I am very ready for happier trails!
Any tips to adjusting to Portland are welcome!
Happy riding to all!
Cheers!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Site Admin

Hi Sonya,

Congratulations on your upcoming move! Do you know where in Portland you'll be moving to?

My wife and I have only been here for about 6 months now, having migrated from the frigid winter depths of New Hampshire in mid-January. Feel free to ask any questions on the forum or by email and I'd be happy to share my experiences and offer suggestions where they might be helpful.

Scott
Old 09-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Site Admin

So we have arrived and settled in Portland- finally! I have reassembled only 2 of 5 bicycles so far but they have been enough to get us around town. We're in the Concordia neighborhood and have explored a very tiny bit by bike.

Does anyone know of any group rides that will get us more familiar with commuting routes? I've looked a bit online so far but haven't come up with too much.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Site Admin

Keep an eye on the Shift calendar for tons of rides (and other bikey events, too):

http://www.shift2bikes.org/cal/

I've found the Easy Riders rides were a great way to meet some of Portland's friendliest cyclists and learn useful routes around the city.

Oh, and welcome to Portland!

Scott
Old 09-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Site Admin

Oh that's right! I completely forgot that you had already suggested that site to me! Thanks for the reminder- things have been a bit hectic since the move!

So far we're loving it here! Yay!
Old 09-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Site Admin

Welcome fellow Condordia-ite. The City of Portland has a series of bicycle maps at:

http://www.portlandonline.com/TRANSP...=34809&a=70221

Much of this information is also available on Bycycle, an online bike route planner:

http://www.bycycle.org

My wife and I moved here four years ago and I am a fairly new bike commuter.

Things you should do in Concordia (mostly eating, I'm afraid):

Have weekend brunch at Authentica on 30th and Killingsworth. Don't bother with the crowds at other places like the Tin Shed - it's good, but not worth an hour wait. Authentica is where you want to be. I recommend the amazing Huevos Rancheros, though anything is good.

Don't be put off by the fact that Aladdin Cafe is built in the former storeroom of a somewhat sketchy-looking convenience store on northern 33rd Ave. Eat there anyway. Good Lebanese/Syrian food.

There are rather too many Thai restaurants on Alberta, but our favorite is Thai Noon. If you are lactose intolerant (or if you just ask) they will make Thai iced tea with *coconut milk* for you.

Alberta also has several pizza joints, but again, don't be put off by the looks of Al Forno Ferruza. It's really good. They just opened there, moving up from just being a food cart.

Go to Last Thursday, which happens on Alberta Street on - you guessed it - the last Thursday of the month. Unfortunately the Clown House was forced out of the neighborhood. They provided a real Portland experience.

Alberta is also the home of the Community Cycling Center, which is a good organization and has a good bike shop that supports their efforts.

Tip: You can use the McMenamins Kennedy School soaking pool for free as a resident of the neighborhood. You can use Concordia U's new library too, though I have not yet done so.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Site Admin

Wow! Thanks for all the info! We're at NE 36th and Webster which puts us a few blocks from New Seasons, Kennedy School, Common Ground Wellness Center, and all the stuff on Alberta. It's an awesome neighborhood- we even have a community garden in our backyard that we have a share in!

I definitely want to check out the Community Cycling Center. We're gonna need an awesome Local Bike Shop. Back in Philly I was great friends with all the guys who worked at one particular shop and if I can replicate the friendships I had with all those dudes I'd be thrilled.

We're gonna check out Townshend's Alberta Street Teahouse today. Wahoo!
Old 09-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyaByBike View Post
Wow! Thanks for all the info! We're at NE 36th and Webster which puts us a few blocks from New Seasons, Kennedy School, Common Ground Wellness Center, and all the stuff on Alberta. It's an awesome neighborhood- we even have a community garden in our backyard that we have a share in!
You guys did a great job finding a good area to live in! I've lived in suburbs most of my life, and I feel that my quality of life is immeasurably better now that I can walk to a grocery store, restaurants, and my doctor's office.

Scott

PS - if you like beer, there will no doubt be many bikey people at Widmer tonight. I even hear Mayor Adams is leading a bike caravan to the event from City Hall: http://bikeportland.org/2009/08/21/w...2%80%99-event/

Last edited by zpl; 09-02-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Site Admin

I too grew up in the 'burbs but fortunately it was more of a town/village full of old houses (the house I grew up in was built in the 1890s!) so the walkability was fairly high.

We L-O-V-E beer however we are just beginning a nutritional cleanse which does not allow for any processed foods or beverages. In 20 days we will certainly be back in the swing of beer consumption! I read about that ride on SHIFT so we might show up there anyway! Will you and your wife be going?
Old 09-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Site Admin

Alas, my wife does not partake in beer or bikes, so instead I'll be there with a friend of mine, Jason. I will likely have a black baseball cap on with the Specialized bike logo. Do say hello if you drop by!

Scott