Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Site Admin

Default New Striping on HWY 99 in Clark County

I just spied some new striping on HWY 99 and 63rd/Minnehaha tonight. The bike lanes go all the way to the intersection now and they're to the left of the right turn lane! Still no proper bike lane all the way down the hill to Ross, so you gotta ride in the ditch and make your move into the lane to get under the train tracks.

The best part is that they resurfaced the road and it's NOT CHIP SEAL!!!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:58 PM
Site Admin

I've been complaining about this as long as I've known how to complain effectively. Those bike lanes were a pain with the right turn lanes breaking them up at every major intersection. The southbound one even had a nice gouge right down the edge of it for what was probably a mile or two. Glad to see they've hopefully fixed both of these problems.

As for the hill between Ross and 63rd, I've always just taken the right-hand lane for the entire thing without problem.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Site Admin

Yes, that gouge in SB has been smoothed and the Freddy's/Starbucks driveway lip is smooth as silk now.

I took it NB today and unfortunately that bike lane unceremoniously ends just past Burger King, one must take the lane when approaching 78th st.

I take the lane down the hill no problem, but I just don't trust people coming up the hill, so run up to the RR bridge await a gap and sprint under the bridge, then ride the gutter the rest of the way up to Muchas Gracias.

Last edited by LESTER; 09-23-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Site Admin

Default Hwy 99

They reduced the lanes from four down to three from NE 63rd to Ross Complex entrance and added bike lanes. There are two auto lanes northbound and one southbound and bike lanes both sides.

The surfacing method is called a micro-seal, similar to a slurry seal but more durable and smoother. Both are better than chip seal by far.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Site Admin

I finally got to ride down and back up Muchas Gracias hill today. I'm truly amazed. On my first post-resurfacing run they just had the temporary plastic flap lane markers set up for 4-lane auto. This recent development makes getting downtown almost pleasant.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Site Admin

I forgot I took pics the other day.

Here they are if you're interested.