Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Newbie Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2009, 06:58 AM
Site Admin

Default Hello from the Couve

My name is Craig and I'm from across the river in Vancouver (downtown area). I've been commuting to work in NW Portland on two wheels for some time now, but on a motorcycle. Decided to start pedeling on two wheels to get to work. My Dad heard I was in the market for a communitor bike, so he gave me his old 12-speed. It's a Univega Maxima Sport from 1986, I believe. I'll be overhauling it over the Winter, while also getting myself in shape so I don't kill myself on such a commute!
Old 09-05-2009, 01:56 AM
Site Admin

Hello back from the Couve!
We're glad to have you! I'm also in the downtown area. There's a bike commute workshop coming up next Thursday in Vancouver, if you're interested and have the time! *Link* (sorry if the calendar looks a little sparse, it's new and still being populated/updated!)

I'm a huge fan of the older bikes. I googled the frame and they look like a somewhat relaxed-geometry road bike, just the thing for commuting! Are you doing the work yourself?
Old 09-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Site Admin

I'm trying to do as much of it myself as I can. I went to Bad Monkey yesterday and picked the brain of their master mechanic. I'm lacking in a lot of the specialty tools needed. So anything I can't do, I'll bring in, and watch them do it. This is the first bike I've overhauled. So if I have enough fun, I'll go out and buy a tool kit so I can do more.

Looks like that workshop is from noon to 1pm, when I'm at work.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Site Admin

Another 'hi' from this side of the river. There's a thread about Vancouver bike routes here. When you get your ride assembled to your liking, you can show us all what to watch for in the thread "Who rides what?". Welcome!
Old 09-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Site Admin

Craig - If you have something you'd like to try out as far as working on your bike, I do have a small collection of tools! Just give me a PM if you're interested...
Also, Mike at Bad Monkey certainly knows what he's up to. Plus, they all bend over backwards at that shop to provide good service. For years, Vancouver Cyclery has been quoting weeks of lead time for simple repairs. Which seems to be bordering on too much of a good thing for our new local bike shop! They're working overtime while other businesses are fighting to break even.

Sorry about that commuter workshop! That's exactly what I was thinking about the time; it's no good for almost anyone who's actually in a position to put it to use! I'm going to try to arrange or inspire another, less official, something-or-other along these lines...
Old 09-16-2009, 06:45 AM
Site Admin

Thanks, Wumpus. I have the frame at M&M in Fruit Valley getting powder coated right now. Once I get it back, I'll see how much I can put together without specialty tools. If I need any help, I'll let ya know.