Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2009, 12:42 PM
Site Admin

I tried it out this weekend, too. I made a wrong turn at Foster, took the ramp down to street level instead of going up to where the MAX stop is. It wasn't apparent that you needed to go up to cross. There is no street level crossing, you have to go West on Foster to 92nd, then take 92nd South. I'll know better next time, but maybe a sign would help?

On the plus side, there was a mini street fair where the ramp down hit street-level, with music, and a Bull Run Water setup. I was low on water, so filled up there.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:12 AM
Site Admin

i have been taking the new green line max, and i have noticed most of the route there will be no interferance from max passengers crossing the path except i noticed fuller road station the path is inbetween max and parking lot. but clackamas station, the path goes under the walk way to the max. it will be nice to ride the new path when it opens up.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Site Admin

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorlak View Post
So I am to believe if not for the recovery money TriMet had no intention to finish the project because they didn't allot enough of their own money to replace the bike infrastructure that was already there? I find this incredible and wonder why there isn't a stink being made about this.
My understanding is that Tri-Met received additional funding to add lighting (this was not in the original path plan for the light rail project) through the stimulus. This have extended the path closure while they install the lighting. Tri-Met may also have been behind schedule on some of the path work not involving lighting, but I haven't seen anything to suggest they ever thought about not finishing it. Hence the lack of stink.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:56 AM
Site Admin

I spoke with an ODOT worker last week when I was out there,he said the completion goal is mid-October,but his assessment was probably November. While inconvenient, the project is being worked on and will be great to couple bikes with the new green line.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Site Admin

Default Closer

As of this morning, the lights are installed and working all the way south to Johnson Creek. they may be up and working beyond that but can't tell as path is hidden from road beyond there. Its surfaced all the way to Clack Town Center. If it weren't for the fences at Johnson Creek and Clack Town Center it would be clear sailing. There are fences at Springwater & Flavel but they aren't very sincere. Down more often than up. I can't imagine they have enough work to go into November. Misplaced priorities maybe.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:00 AM
Site Admin

Default REALLY close

Lights are on the full length now and the fences are down but they still have wooden barricades up at Clack Town Center and Johnson Creek. But with the fencing down its just a matter of going around the barricade. Suspect official opening coming very soon
Old 10-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Site Admin

Default Sounds like no later than 11/7

Called over to Metro and they just got e-mail that there's a group ride on 11/7 to celebrate the opening of the full stretch of the 205 bike path.
Sure be nice if they'd just take the barricades down now since its all paved and lit, but at least there seems to be an end in sight.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:35 AM
Site Admin

Default 205

I stopped riding 205 bike path several years back due to numerous unsafe (i.e. extremely dangerous) intersections where cars refuse to yield and tend to look left and go right without adequately checking for pedestrian or bike crossings. So I was interested in changes being made. I may still give it a try but looking at the comments in response to article J. Maus started on 205 the other day I think many agree it is still unsafe. Just my opinion but seems like a lot of money being spent for such poor results. Money could be better spent improving the NE 72nd and SE 76th North South route or perhaps a more easterly No/So route. Traffic around 205 arterials seems to retain to much of the auto-aggression required to survive on hi-speed interstate routes and thus make that particular bike path inherently dangerous.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Site Admin

OK rode north today on 205 path from springwater to prescott. New bridge over Foster is awsome, old bridge over powell is also good. At Division you get a flashing yellow "warning" light if you press cross button. At division there is a gravel path that that starts to go down under division but it never quite makes it through. Stark and Glisan crossings are as dangerous as ever. Glisan crossing should be avoided. Today when I crossed Glisan on green the first car was so busy looking left while turning right that he would have hit me if I did not abruptly stop. This intersection should be closed by PBOT for safety reasons. The incident that occurred to me today is no different than what I experienced many years ago at the same place. My guess is that this type of incident will occur 50% of the time. Bottom line 205 bike path from Springwater to Market is pretty good, avoid the rest!
Old 10-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Site Admin

Default Agree - for the most part

Division, Stark and Glisan are all sketchy. Don't like Holgate much either. Riding over Powell and Foster is truly sweet. But for someone like me who commutes from Mt Tabor to Clackamas Town Center area every day the stretch from Johnson Creek south is what I'm salivating for. No street crossings at all. I've been riding 92nd for two years now. Even got to like it in a way. Good bike lane. I've shaved 10" off my ride, though, with just the 205 route section that's open. No lights to wait at. So, I've rationalized that patience at some of the sketchy crossings is better than stopping at all the lights along 92nd. And I HATE the 92nd hill south of Johnson Creek. Not in the mood in the morning and treacherous in the dark rain coming home.