Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Site Admin

Default 205 Bike Path

I called Tri-Met today because I am anxiously waiting for the 205 path south of Flavel to re-open, but judging from the amount of work still needed I couldn't imagine them finishing it by the 9/12/09 christening of the Green Line. I was right. The cust svc rep researched it and apologetically advised that there is no exact projected completion date other than "probably the end of September". They received some stimulus $$ that is being used to install lighting and delay completion.
Once again it feels like we get the dregs. They've had the Max line done for months. They even have the shrubbery. I can live with 92nd a little longer. I really don't want to do another winter on it, though.
Anyone out there know the inside scoop? Are they at least going to open sections as they complete them? Which ones? When?
Old 09-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Site Admin

Default i-205 path status

From the Tri-Met website:

August 13, 2009

The ODOT I-205 multi-use path is open north of SE Harold. South of Harold to SE Sunnyside Road, the multi-use path remains closed while crews install new lighting and paving, a project recently funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Path users can expect path access, with isolated restrictions, starting in mid-September while installation is completed. Further path finishing activity may require flaggers and lane restrictions through October.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Site Admin

They are paving between Johnson Creek and Clack Town Center today.
If they'd just let us on that stretch life would be good
Old 09-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Site Admin

Default This just in...

From update:
The ODOT I-205 multi-use path is open north of SE Harold Street. The path will open between SE Harold Street and the Springwater Corridor Trail September 12, although minor lighting and landscaping activity may require intermittent, temporary path restrictions in this section through November.

South of the Springwater Corridor to SE Sunnyside Road, the multi-use path remains closed until mid-November while crews continue installation of new lighting and paving, a project recently funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. After this section opens, minor lighting and landscaping activity may require intermittent, temporary path restrictions through November.

I guess I have to slog up that hill through november ....
Why should minor lighting and landscaping keep us off the tarmac?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Site Admin

Oldguy, minor lighting and landscaping keeps us off the tarmac because that's where the electricians and landscapers are parking their rigs.

Or, there's plants and dirt and electrical wire and tools all over the tarmac, and people all over the place trying to get work done, and ODOT thought it would be easier, safer, and the work would get done faster if everyone didn't have to dodge everyone else in that area.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:41 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikieboy View Post
From the Tri-Met website:

August 13, 2009

The ODOT I-205 multi-use path is open north of SE Harold. South of Harold to SE Sunnyside Road, the multi-use path remains closed while crews install new lighting and paving, a project recently funded by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.
So I am to believe if not for the recovery money TriMet had no intention to finish the project because they didn't allot enough of their own money to replace the bike infrastructure that was already there? I find this incredible and wonder why there isn't a stink being made about this.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorlak View Post
So I am to believe if not for the recovery money TriMet had no intention to finish the project because they didn't allot enough of their own money to replace the bike infrastructure that was already there? I find this incredible and wonder why there isn't a stink being made about this.
A lot of states are using the stimulus money to save projects that would have otherwise been cut due to the budget shortfalls they've experienced. The money may have been in a long-term budget drafted years ago but the economic realities changed the source of the funding when stimulus money became available.

I'm not saying I know for certain what their plan was, but I don't think it's reasonable to assume that they never intended to do this work from the start either.

Scott
Old 09-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpl View Post

I'm not saying I know for certain what their plan was, but I don't think it's reasonable to assume that they never intended to do this work from the start either.

Scott
Well, my comment is on the side of hyperbolic, but what I see is that Trimet was perfectly happy to make sure their rail was complete with funding while letting the bike path just kind of sit on the wire untill some funding came through with some kind of special effort. I believe they didn't intend to *not* finish the bike path but it does seem they intend for it to be "first out last in". I mean really, what would the completion projections look like if not for the recovery funding which is something they didn't foresee when starting the project?
Old 09-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Site Admin

I have to give Trimet the benefit of the doubt. I've been watching them maintain what was the former trail and prepare the future trail. They even had a public ride the day before they closed it that promoted how much better it will be. The tarmac they've laid down so far is nice and smooth. My understanding is that they had not planned to install lights. Now that they have money for lights the installation of those has delayed the overall completion. I don't believe there was any risk of not getting the path back with improvements to the surface.
I'm just inpatient for construction to be completed before the winter rains.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Site Admin

Default Closer to done

Sooooo nice riding smooth surfaces without glass or cars all the way south to Springwater this morning! Very sweet. Very nice not to have to navigate crossing Foster anymore.
There was a Metro bike rep at the Foster Rd path access pt on Saturday who says the full length is projected to open toward the end of October. The hold up is placing some culverts in the stretch from Spring water to Johnson Creek and light installation the rest of the way to Clackamas Town Center. Paving's all done except for the short stretch around Flavel.
There's hope!