Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Question Ok, next step... Socks

Alright, I've got the clipless pedals (Shimano A530's), and SIDI Dominator 5 shoes (for distance, casual shoes pending). Now, I'm thinking about socks.

My experience with "technical" fibers is limited to a jersey. I found it very much a dissappointment when I discovered how bad it can smell. So I'm thinking natural fibers.

Anybody got opinions on wool (or other natural fibers) socks? Brands?

Thanks!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 07-12-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:49 PM
Site Admin

Cheap cotton socks sized to length and cut as well as thickness (hot/cold).

Remove and replace as required.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:32 AM
Site Admin

Those are some nice shoes you picked out, K'Tesh. Good work.

Smartwool makes some lightweight socks for running and cycling. I bought a pair from Performance that are very comfy and have lasted well. I think the model was discontinued otherwise I'd buy 3 more pairs right now.

On the other hand, I have some Smartwool midweight "walking" socks that have thinned out in the heel badly, and are close to the point of being thrown away (and that's after only a year of use).

Scott
Old 07-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Site Admin

Wool socks. Smartwool - I like the ones with more cushion rather than less. I have yet to throw a pair away, and I both run and ride in them. Some pairs are probably 5 years old.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Site Admin

Just tripping around in fair weather, which is mostly what I'm doing these days...cotton Nike anklet socks work fine for me. Can't remember whether I wore wool or a synthetic in the days when I was doing long daily mileages. If I think about it a little..might have had some lightweight wool socks back then. Think so, because in the rainy times, if the foot is wet (even though wearing booties) the warmth while wet is something to be said for wool.

I'm funny about synthetics. I've been experimenting with a variety of Champion synthetic jerseys. The results have been good, but directly against the skin? No. For the present season, I use them as an over-shirt with cotton underneath. Even though the cotton gets wet with sweat, I think the synthetic helps to wick away some of the moisture. It's a good trick. The synthetic dries very quickly. Might work similarly, used in a sock system. My impression is that this keeps the strongest of the body oils and fluids from coming into direct contact with the synthetic, so the odor issue is minimized.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:14 AM
Site Admin

Nike has some really lightweight anklet socks that I use on hot days. However, I use a fairly heavy shoe right now that doesn't have a lot of ventilation, so need a really lightweight sock to keep my feet comfy.

I cannot say enough good things about Smartwool!!! I love their socks. I also get the ones with more cushion, not less. Good stuff.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:39 AM
Site Admin

Does Smartwool come from sheep of above average intelligence?

I'll need to be careful exactly how I'm going to tell my wife about all the great socks everyone else seems to have.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Site Admin

I guarantee that on Cycle Oregon, there are times where it will be Very Cold. Also times where it will be raining. They are often coincident. Cotton socks will not help you there - they will get wet, they will not dry, nor will they keep you warm when they are wet. They also bunch up around your feet and can cause blisters.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Question Rain in Jefferson State?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
I guarantee that on Cycle Oregon, there are times where it will be Very Cold. Also times where it will be raining. They are often coincident. Cotton socks will not help you there - they will get wet, they will not dry, nor will they keep you warm when they are wet. They also bunch up around your feet and can cause blisters.
Rain in Jefferson State in September? Not that I remember! A heavy dew perhaps...

As to the rest about cold/wet feet and blisters I'd buy that info.

I'm thinking that I'm going to aim for fresh socks each day w/o the need for washing. So, perhaps 7-14 pairs of the smartwool socks (depends on how my feet feel after a long ride if I'll need to change them enroute).

Thanks for the help!
K'Tesh
Old 07-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Site Admin

Smartwools are nice. If you're wanting other options, DeFeet makes nice wool socks as well. I have a bunch of DeFeet Woolie Boolies and Wool-E-Ators that have held up well. 8 years and counting!