Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Site Admin

Default Powell to OHSU lower tram?

Hello,
I just moved here a couple weeks ago, and I'm a novice cyclist. I'm trying to figure out how to bike to the lower tram from my house near Milwaukee and Powell. I have seen some info on here about the Ross Island Bridge and how confusing/dangerous it is, but I still am not sure what exactly you'd do if you were coming west across the bridge and needed to get down to the tram.
I am aware of two options: avoid the whole thing and go up to the Hawthorne bridge instead. Or, I guess I could come off the bridge and go north to the Kelly & Corbett bus 19 stop, then turn right and take the sidewalk down Macadam Ave (I'd be going the opposite direction of traffic and dodging pedestrians though).
Does anyone else have a better route? Thank you.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Site Admin

I would reccommend going over the Hawthorne Bridge, then heading south along the waterfront. follow the marked signs, go through the roundabout near mcCormick and Schmicks and keep heading south. Soon you'll see the streetcar tracks. Careful! Follow these east and then south and they take you right to the tram. There are few to no cars on this route and there's a really pretty poppy field right before the tram entrance. Don't go over the Ross Island bridge.

have fun

h
Old 07-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Site Admin

Since you're new here there's a chance you might not be aware of this great online tool:

http://www.bycycle.org/regions/portlandor

You can click on the "Find a route" tab along the top, enter in two addresses, and it will give you a route to your destination that's as bike-friendly as possible.

Scott
Old 07-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Site Admin

Default slightly roundabout, but safe:

do a google maps search for "sw corbett and mt hood highway,portland." now you can see where you are when you come off the ross island bridge - you'll be curling around the western side of the pretzel. instead of following the curve around and down under the bridge, you'll cross over to kelly at about the half-way point. there's a crossing, but cars flying off the bridge are flying around that curve and coming from the other direction, so stand there like a doofus and wait until all is clear and then skitter across. if you're ready, jump on out onto the road, otherwise stay on the sidewalk, but you'll have another slow crossing at kelly - cars are flying through there, so be careful. (i just realized you mentioned the bus stop, so you know how to get that far.)

when you get across kelly, go straight on down corbett and turn right directly under the clustermuck of freeways crossing overhead and then right again at moody. now you'll find yourself in a bike lane that you can ride right on up to the tram.

in a couple of years there's going to be a bridge, 2 blocks south of the ross island, that will take you over the freeway and right to the tram. or so they say...
Old 07-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Site Admin

Default Very imformative

Thanks, each of you. I will definitely try out going via Hawthorne instead, and it will probably make up for being a little longer with being prettier. I did not know about that online tool and have already made good use of it. And, I have spent a lot of time staring at Google maps and hadn't come up with that under-the-highways route, but I see it now! Thanks again.