Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Site Admin

Default Independance [from oil] Camping trip

After working at the Exchange Cycle Tours repair clinic, Sugata and I rode out through Southeast Portland on the Independance [from oil] Day campout.
We first stopped at Wholesale Liquidators for snackfood and supplies. We then headed out on the Springwater Corridor towards Boring, OR.
We explored portions of the unpaved trail out near Boring and made it into town before exhausting ourselves. The unpaved portion is actually okay to ride on if you're not carrying gear.
Finally we arrived at Chris and Debbie's house. We were treated to deluxe accommodations, and kind hospitality. The evening was incredibly beautiful, and I thoroughly soaked in the views of the countryside.

After a pleasant nights sleep we had a hearty breakfast, and headed over to the Farmer's Market. Kat, Dianne, and Jack as well as Less Otto, Dean Apostol, and some others have been working hard to cement a stronger town center for Boring and better interactions with the Portland Bike community.

After leaving Boring, we headed through east Boring and out towards Sandy. The views were incredible, and the hills offered lots of visual stimuli. We took our time winding up into the hills and enjoying the lush vegetation.
Toward mid-afternoon we found our spot and took stock of the accessibility. We then took a short side trip to Canby for some food. A fast descent brought us back to the spot. There were several car-junkies there (despite the no parking signs) which could have taken away from the experience, but they were all heading out for the evening.
We found a spot for the tent, and had dinner. There were so many amazing things to see that I spent half my time behind the camera. I learned a great deal about Sugata who has been on the ECT rides a number of times and has been good company. He told me a great deal about India and comparisons with America.
Monday dawned unusually chilly and we both made sure there was hot food to get us warmed up until the sun reached into the valley. We cleaned up and spent the day exploring the beautiful river. I got an amazing number of great photos. Unfortunately we also came upon a huge amount of trash left by the car-folk who were hanging around the night before. While I didn't have the resources to remove such destruction (and it would only encourage more), I simply made a point to leave my own mark on the beach. I imagine the township wouldn't have the courage to put a barrier that would prevent parking in the area. I've found that the only way to prevent such damage is to keep the auto folks away.
As the afternoon came upon us, we had to get the gear loaded and head back to our wonderful Portland. Schlepping our fully loaded bikes up the hill to the road was a challenge, but we made it to the road and back to Canby. From there it was an easy ride back to Portland.