Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Bikepool Connections
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Site Admin

@ Boneshaker: Thanks for even asking the question, you beat me to it, your comments here are exactly my same thoughts: "Just because you can and just because it's legal don't mean it is right or smart." "And yes, I would suggest auto traffic take an alternate route if the most direct one is not safe."

My usual concern for the people I see riding on MLK is their safety.
I haven't seen the group ride on MLK and it would seem that there would be better safety in numbers. But I'm always so concerned for the solo riders I see on MLK, and I question if they are trading convenience for their safety.

We see all too often that a minor error on a drivers part can mean a tragic fatality for those of us on 2 wheels, regardless of how safe the bike rider is or isn't. From my perspective riding MLK seems to be inviting danger simply by increasing the odds of aggressive traffic.

I'm certainly not going to suggest where people should or shouldn't ride their bikes, but I will advocate each one of us putting an extremely high value on our own personal safety and taking as much personal responsibility for where we choose to ride.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Site Admin

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that it *isn't* dangerous and I have *never* experienced road rage while riding on MLK.

As mentioned by others -- the large number of lanes, good sight lines, and generally slow moving traffic make this one easy.

I have had way more close calls on 7th for example which is theoretically traffic-calmed, but is one lane each way with poor sight lines and where people feel they can get away with speeding.

To each their own.

Tags
awesome, bikepool, mlk