Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Site Admin

Angry Bike "rage" guys on Hawthorne Bridge, 6/8

In just another example of how we bicyclists need to start doing what we've asked drivers to do for us:

Yesterday, three male cyclists (one of which who seemed to be riding his own personal Giro d'Italia in 5:30 pm bike traffic) got into a verbal argument about passing on the Hawthorne Bridge.

I was the surprised woman who inched around all three of you while you argued about who had the right to do what. Last thing I heard as I rode away was "Don't f*cking push me, man..."

Oh, boy.

Can we all just agree to take it easy on the bridge? Otherwise these sorts of bike rage traffic jams may become a regular part of our commute. And I was so enjoying this nice weather...

Yours in hopes of cooperation,
Laurameg
Old 06-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Site Admin

Yes, and please just everyone stay left. No weaving. No left, right, left, right. Just stay left like you're supposed to do. If you're too pathetic to ride > 5mph then MAYBE you can get over. Otherwise, just stay to the left. Is that clear? The left? Where the dots indicate to ride your bike? Pedestrians don't want you cutting right and riding right towards them or buzzing them anyway... So, stay left.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Site Admin

Just say "no" to the Hawthorne at rush hour, too much craziness from fast bikes and slow bikes and joggers and dogs and trumpet payers. I won't go anywhere near it these days. Unless it's January and raining, then it's pretty swell.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Site Admin

I was right behind the incident. myself and about a dozen other commuters just pulled over and waited for the rage to dissapate, which it did. All I could think at the time was "PEACE OUT"
Old 06-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Site Admin

Glad to know that nothing serious came of that situation. I just wanted to get the heck out of there and scooted around them...
Old 06-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Site Admin

Default It is time to make the bridge a no passing zone

What's the big deal about going so fast in a hazardous area anyway?
No passing, no exceptions. That is what I want.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Site Admin

Smile Wait until 7 PM

I just finished my commute from Hillsboro to SE PDX, crossing the Hawthorne Bridge at about 7 to 7:15 PM.

Well, if anything, it felt more like rain in Winter judging by the slow numbers. I did not see more than five bikes on the entire length of the sidewalk when I was on it. Trumpet man was not there (I enjoy him, so I missed him).

Heck, there were more boats in the water then bikes on the bridge.

What amazed me, however, are the children playing in the Salmon fountain. I almost got hypothermia looking at them. It was cold!

Luv

Mark
Old 06-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Site Admin

It seems like part of the issue is that we are confusing recreational biking / racing, whatever, with commuting. The car community has largely given up on the idea that rally driving / racing etc is compatible with the morning commute, but some bikers on the Hawthorne have not caught up with the idea that riding styles for 7am downtown are not the same as Sunday afternoon on Sauvie Island.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Site Admin

I sure hope people 'round here don't start getting on their bikes and cloggin' up the bike lanes!

I saw 4 other commuters on my 3.8 mile commute this morning. That's a new record and frankly, it has me a bit worried. Someone buy these people some pickup trucks!
Old 06-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Site Admin

SeaBike-- rally racing as commuting is not a good metaphor, as in rally racing the cars are started at one minute intervals. You hardly ever see another car out on the stage as a competitor, unless a) you catch the guy in front of you or b) you get caught by the guy behind you. And in those case, the competitor getting caught always pulls over and gets out of the way of the competitor doing the catching. It's quite civilised.

Plus, sideways through corners on pavement means you have to buy new tires sooner. Not smart.

Commuting and Nascar or any kind of track racing-- that's a good comparison. Lots of other cars, lots of "gotta get in front and stay there" sort of thing. Scary. Not civilised.

I would say that most car drivers have figured out that you can't treat your commute like a race-- but they still do (see "gotta get in front and stay there", above).

At any rate, I agree, commuting is not a race, for cars or for bikes. For goodness' sake, people, you're just going to WORK.

Tags
bike, bridge, hawthorne, rage