Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Site Admin

Question Considering a new bike, seek advice on Hybrids

I'm considering getting a hybrid bike as an alternative to my recumbent. Due to the recumbent's length (7.5 feet), I cannot take it on TriMet buses or MAX. I must also disassemble it somewhat to get in the back of my pickup. So I'm considering an upright bike that will be easier to transport.

I need ride in a position where I am not leaning very far forward in order to prevent a pinched nerve in my spine, so drops are out for me. A hybrid looks to offer the upright position that I need, and would be a decent road bike with light off-road capabilities. My web search has led me to the Trek 7500 - anyone out there with this bike? What do you think of it? Does anyone have recommendations on other brands/models? I would like to keep the price point below $1000, while still getting decent components.

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking GT Transeo 1.0

I love my GT Transeo 1.0... better components than the 2.0 or higher versions...

It's mostly stock, but I opted to swap out the caliper brakes for discs (it's disc ready), added lights, some of those ergonomic handlebar grips, a rack, and fenders. I'm a clydsdale, so I had to replace the rear wheel too.

After all was said and done, it was about $830.00 (plus cost of lights).

Hope that helps.
K'Tesh
Old 05-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Site Admin

Of course test riding whatever you're considering at an LBS will be key. One other thing to consider is that several bike shops in Portland rent hybrid bikes, so you could try different models for an extended period of time if you want.

Scott
Old 05-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Site Admin

Default Thanks for the tips

Fit is going to be crucial for me, due to my back problems, so I'll definitely be test riding.

The GT Transeo 1.0 looks pretty similar to the Trek 7500. From GT's website, it looks like the Transeo 1.0 comes with disc brakes now, so that's a plus.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:24 PM
Site Admin

Since you're already "bent", have you considered a SWB RANS like a V-Rex or an F5? Both have a wheelbase of under 45" and should fit on the MAX or a Trimet rack.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:44 AM
Site Admin

Default Thought about a SWB 'bent, but ...

I don't want all of my bikes to be 'bent. The rider, of course, is totally bent.

Still leaning towards the Trek 7500. I'll be stopping by the downtown Bike Gallery this afternoon to take a closer look. Went to the SE Division shop yesterday, they didn't have the 7500 there, but they said the downtown shop had one in the 20" frame, which should be the right size for me.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:45 AM
Site Admin

Default Picked up my Trek 7500 yesterday!

What a nice bike! Always exciting to get a new toy!

Compared to my recumbent:
Pros: It's so light! Climbs like a dream! I sit so high!
Cons: Not as comfortable. Not as fast on the flats or downhill. My sweat drips all over the bike.

The Trek will probably become my everyday bike, but you'll still see me on the recumbent. Two very nice bikes.