Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2006, 09:20 PM
Site Admin

Default The Bike Fun Keeps Going and Going and Going...

Just to prove that Pedalpalooza doesn't end when the solstice passes us by, here's a report on the 100 degree bike promotion.
I've talked quite a bit recently about the efforts in Boring, OR to complete the east end of the Springwater corridor and build a community park there. Well the first <a href="http://bikeportland.org/2006/05/15/springwater-corridor-in-rails-to-trails-magazine/#comment-10513">
Boring farmers market</a> was held today, and it was a blast. I really felt like I was in an old country fair. (like the People's coop festival last week)
There was an awesome band playing, lots of great fruit, and very friendly people. I got to reconnect with Less, Kat, Dean, and many other Boring residents. They were all very helpful in offering suggestions for next week's campout. We are also keeping the idea alive of having a co-event with Boring. The ideas that Kat brought to the table for this were a parade, a BBQ, a dinner and campout, a tour of the town. I just reviewed the post someone wrote about having the sprockets there. I would be willing to carry their bikes on my trailer and I think a performance would be amazing for them. While there I also saw numerous folks riding by from the Barlow Trail Century (I was a bit envious because I'd wanted to do this but had other obligations). This was very helpful today in bringing the cycling to the forefront at the Farmer's market.
Here's a G-maps route for those interested in checking out the town.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=260122
On the way back, I stopped by a clearing at Highland Drive. There were dozens of cars parked all over and now I realized that this was where everyone was starting off for the Barlow Century. I chatted with John Benenate of BIKE (Bicycling and Ideas for Kids Empowerment). John is a very impressive person who I occasionally saw at North Portland Bike Works. He has apparently been working on empowering at-risk youth for over 15 years and has numerous success stories regarding children who would otherwise have very low self-confidence. I told him my idea (for marketing) of using the TV commercial 'If you let me play sports..' and then rephrasing this for bicycling. If you let children ride they will have more self confidence because they will be the engine of their own transportation. We had a great conversation and hopefully we'll chat more.
I left John and rode up to the Gateway Transit Center to help Steven on the Exchange Cycle Tours ride. We took a ride up to Vancouver and out east along Evergreen Hwy. (Just so you know, I'd consumed about 6 bottles of water by this point). The ride was easy going, and we had nice conversation. By the end of the ride, the heat was becoming less apocalyptic and the return was manageable.
Happy riding!