Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2006, 05:12 PM
Site Admin

Default Ok all you Portland to Vanc. bikers. Question.

So I'm planning out my commute originally starting in Gresham and going to Vancouver area (off of 205 on St. Johns St.)

I think I may take the Max to the 205 interchange station and maybe take the red line towards the airport to get a head start...but even if I don't and I chose to take the Spring Water Corridor to the 205 parallel trail how do I get to that center lane across 205? Maybe I'll just have to ride it to find it....but when driving 205 all of a sudden the center trail comes out of nowhere, obiously up a hill to the bridge....but from where?

And then once on the other side in WA it seems to dip back down and then disappear. Somehow I need to keep heading north to Padden Pkwy. Any suggestions would help. I may just need to jump on my bike and hope for the best on a test run. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Administrator
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoos78 View Post
how do I get to that center lane across 205? Maybe I'll just have to ride it to find it....but when driving 205 all of a sudden the center trail comes out of nowhere, obiously up a hill to the bridge....but from where?
If you're coming on the bike trail from the intersection of Sandy and the I-205 on-ramp, look for the entrance to the Glen Jackson Bridge bike trail basically right across from (and above) the Home Depot parking lot. Someone else may be able to explain this one better.

Quote:
And then once on the other side in WA it seems to dip back down and then disappear.
It ends up winding briefly parallel to Hwy 14, exiting onto a residential street and then ending up at Ellsworth. I'm not sure about the best way to get from Ellsworth up to Padden Parkway. I usually go north and west through residential streets to get to the Burnt Bridge Creek trail, which goes near my house, but not sure about getting farther north.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:11 AM
Site Admin

Ok I know where the Home Depot is on the right if your heading North on 205. And I think, if I'm not mistaken the MAX station is really close to it.

And then if the trail runs parallel to 14 West Bound? then like you mentioned I could jump into some residential areas and head NW and be going in the right direction. When I drove up to Padden and St. Johns it seemed like there were some good bike lanes and I think I saw a seperate trail. Sorry, thinking / typing outloud.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Site Admin

You can get Metro and Clark County bikes maps at any decent bike shop. They're great for exploring new routes.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Site Admin

As this is one of my commute routes, I know it well. From the Parkrose/Sumner station (as far north as you want to go) on Max, head north on the bike trail to Columbia/Killingsworth and cross at the intersection with Sandy. The trail will dip down and then up to cross Airport Way. It will duck under I-5 northbound and come up in the center of 205. Head north and up over the bridge and the trail will drop down between the lanes and head parallel to SR14 westbound to Ellsworth. I would ride up and over the overpass over SR14 and head up the hill to 10th Ave (the top of the hill). Turn right and cross over 205, turning left at the next stop sign (Chekalov). From here you can continue past Trader Joes along Chekalov which becomes Gher/112th/Covington to Padden, or you can head north along Chekalov to 7th, turn right to 136th and then turn left (north) to get to Padden. Both routes can be trafficky, but welcome to Vancouver!
Old 09-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Site Admin

Yup, Parkrose/Sumner station on the red line is what I was thinking of. Perfect. I'll have to pick up some info at a bike shop. I have maps for the Portland Metro area, to find my way around but not for the Couv.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm going to jump on my whip and take a test ride today.
Old 09-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Site Admin

136th Avenue is severely torn up and under construction past Evergreen high school!!! The traffic will be thick and confused. I wouldn't advise going through there for a while with anything resembling street bike parts. It's pretty lumpy.
Going north on 112th Avenue is a lot better than south, since the worst of it goes downhill thataway. The extra speed helps to negotiate with drivers. It's not one of my favorite roads.
Here's how I might do it:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=410709

It's a little longer, but less unpleasant. From Ellsworth to 98th Avenue, the 10th street road surface is pretty bad, but there are options there. You could cruise right up 112th Avenue, but that's not one of my favorite routes; I'd rather take a back route. (I'm such a sissy! On the corner of 117th Avenue and 65th street is Brewed Awakenings, which is a decent Vancouver source of caffeinated sustenance. The milkshakes are especially worthy of being consumed. Around and over, north on 107th, and there you are!
Old 09-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Site Admin

Awesome link! Thank you. This morning I got as far as SE Mill Plain Blvd. before noticing the lack of bike lanes...and without a map on me I didn't really know which way to turn. But at least I got an idea of the bridge crossing. I ended up riding from Gresham which really didn't take too long, but some of those crossings just to get to the bridge along 205 are a pain.

I guess the only tricky part will be crossing over the 205 and Padden interchange as I head toward St. Johns.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
I guess the only tricky part will be crossing over the 205 and Padden interchange as I head toward St. Johns.
No problem! Bikes are banned on Padden, (last I checked anyway) and required to use the path that runs along the south side; over the pedestrian bridge that crosses I-205. Fortunately, it isn't a scenic or park path, it doesn't have any trailhead parking, and so it doesn't seem to get a whole lot of use. The only real bummer is the stepped slope on the east side of the bridge over I-205. It's a bit weird to climb, and takes the fun out of the way down. If I was 12, I'd jump every last rise in the pavement on a bmx bike, climb back up and do it again....
An alternative might be to take a left on Burton over to Andresen and take that north to Padden, then west to St. John's. Andresen is big, fast and busy, but has a bike lane and almost no driveways to worry about north of Fourth Plain!
If you're headed north of the 99th street intersection of St. John's, it is a narrow high speed road. It might be intimidating, but it's not impossible! I've seen quite a few local kids on foot and on bike up and down that stretch. At least it doesn't have the Brush Prairie style six foot deep ditch, there's some gravel and grass to walk on if you feel the need!

Maybe I'll wander down that direction tomorrow, this thread makes me realize I don't have the east end of Vancouver down as well as I'd like!
Old 09-04-2006, 08:32 AM
Site Admin

Ok, good to know about Padden. I did notice the path along the south side. I knew Andressen is a busy road, so I wasn't quite sure how that would work...especially at rush hour. But as long as there is a bike lane, I think it should be fine. Once I get to Padden I head west to the St. Johns intersection. From there I go N on St Johns but only for maybe a 100 yards so pending any dummy drivers, it should be a pretty safe route.

What I did notice yesterday that I thought was strange was after the 205 overpass as you begin to head up Ellsworth there are entrance and exit ramps that go down to 14. I don't think I would ever ride along 14. The paths just spit you right out onto the shoulder with nowhere to go....and cars are flying along there.

Thanks again for the advice and the links.