Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Site Admin

Default Larch Mountain

Hi everyone I was wondering what the status of Larch Mountain Road is currently? Is it open? Is there much snow at the top? etc. I have been really looking forward to doing this ride. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Site Admin

As of Saturday, the road was gated at mile 10, and snowfree until a little past mile 11, about 3 miles short of the summit. After that, it looks very unplowed and is maybe 8 feet deep. Beware of bonk inducing headwinds on the way back in on Marine drive
Old 05-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Site Admin

awesome thanks a lot. usually around what time does the snow melt completely to the summit? Early June? or is it more dependent on just streaks of warm weather? Thanks man!
Old 05-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Site Admin

Year to year, it depends on the snowpack of course, and how hot of a spring we have. Given what we saw, I'd guess mid to late June this year.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:40 AM
thumbprinter

as of around noon yesterday the snow blocked the road about a mile past the gate, right @ 3000 feet, not sure about 8 feet deep but i'd believe around 3 or 4.

it was a beautiful ride up there, crystal clear morning (the view from the women's forum lookout was stunning) and very quiet on most of larch mt road....
Old 06-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Site Admin

I was able to get 3 or 4 miles past the gate on Saturday before stopping due to snow. I don't remember exactly because it was unbelievably cold and rainy/dripping condensation off the trees. I was shivering and teeth were chatting and my hands were getting numb. My bike computer said it was about 45, a lot cooler than 60 just a little down the road. I don't think I've ever been so cold on a bike before, when I got down to the gate I actually walked for about a half-mile to warm up again.

I was able to get to the sharp-left that also has a trail-head, if anyone is familiar with the entire route (I'm not). Lots of little debris scattered on the road, one tree is kind of leaning across the road but not blocking it.

This ride was also the first time that I experienced two simultaneous flat tires, on Marine Drive by Blue Lake. Fortunately I had a patch kit AND extra tube, so it just took a little extra time...
Old 06-09-2009, 08:01 PM
thumbprinter

good to know, i've been wondering when it will be clear to the top...
Old 06-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenl666 View Post
I was able to get 3 or 4 miles past the gate on Saturday before stopping due to snow.
I was able to get to the sharp-left that also has a trail-head, if anyone is familiar with the entire route (I'm not). Lots of little debris scattered on the road, one tree is kind of leaning across the road but not blocking it.
There is only 4.6 miles after the snowgate, so you may have been very close.

I may attach my skis (or snowshoes) to my bike and make a summit attempt this weekend. Lock up if, or when the snow becomes impassible and forgo mechanical advantage for the last mile or so.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Site Admin

Sounds like it's clear to the top already?

http://www.commissionercogen.com/200...section_o.html
Old 07-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Site Admin

Default Larch Mt. Route

I googled a route to Larch Mt. Is there only one way to get there, via Hwy 6?