Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Site Admin

Default Bad News - My New LHT Rear-ended!!!

Really bad news ... I had just left the bike shop, on my way to the sporting goods to see if they had some cycling gloves that would fit me. Had rode my LHT about two miles, and a car rear-ended me! I almost crashed ... don't know how I managed to stay up!

I noticed instantly that the rear wheel wouldn't turn, and thought the bike was trashed. The young lady (19 years old) was totally freaking out ....

After we exchanged information, the lady wanted to pay for the damage, rather than go through the insurance. One of the witnesses was nice enough to help me out. He put my bike in the back of his pick-up, tied it up real good.

Took me to the bike shop. We waited for the lady. The mechanic said that the only damage is the rear wheel. So they ordered a new wheel, and the lady paid for everything.

I'm really bummed out, and afraid to ride anymore .... I had my Real Lite on, pedaling about 15mph, in the center of the right lane. It had just started to rain, and the young girl was following me too close, then slammed on her brakes, and went sliding out of control.

I just hope I don't have any more close calls! That was too close!

Riding 4 Life
http://vj4him.blogspot.com/
Old 04-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Site Admin

Dude....sorry to hear that.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Site Admin

with respect, you should not have done that. In a day or two, or maybe later, you will hurt. You may have been hurt as well, and adrenalin does a really nice job of masking that. I hope you got her contact information.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Site Admin

Hey Jim,

Glad to hear you're all right, and that your rear wheel took the brunt of the damage.

Like Lynn, I would advise you to never settle these kinds of things outside fully documented channels via insurance or the legal system. I know of several cases where drivers "enthusiastic" to pay for damages without contacting insurance or the police ended up having no insurance at all, being illegal immigrants, driving on a suspended license, over the legal limit of alcohol, etc. You put yourself at huge risk.

Scott
Old 04-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Exclamation +1 from previous posts...

I hope that you really are Ok

I had a co-worker who shrugged off being cut off by a motorist as her bike was ok, and "so was she".

Didn't see her for a week afterwards, she'd dislocated her shoulder. No cop, no info, no chance for financial recovery.

When involved in any kind of crash with a vehicle ALWAYS bring in the Law.

Be Safe Out There!
K'Tesh
Old 04-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Site Admin

Default Yeah, what they said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
When involved in any kind of crash with a vehicle ALWAYS bring in the Law.

Be Safe Out There!
K'Tesh
As much as I don't like to involve Johnny Law in my business, I too agree with that. I got clipped about 2 years ago, hit the rear wheel, spun me around, threw me off the bike. I rolled and came up feeling fine, thought the bike was OK as well. And much like you didn't get local PD involved (besides, I didn't want the ambulance involved either as I had no insurance at the time...). Ended up with a bent crank, some nasty bruising and the beginning (I think) of my recurrent back problems. If nothing more I would have at least gotten my crank fixed...

Tom
Old 04-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatialized View Post
As much as I don't like to involve Johnny Law in my business, I too agree with that. I got clipped about 2 years ago, hit the rear wheel, spun me around, threw me off the bike. I rolled and came up feeling fine, thought the bike was OK as well. And much like you didn't get local PD involved (besides, I didn't want the ambulance involved either as I had no insurance at the time...). Ended up with a bent crank, some nasty bruising and the beginning (I think) of my recurrent back problems. If nothing more I would have at least gotten my crank fixed...

Tom
If I had felt like I was hurt at all, I would have called the police and made a report to the insurance. I didn't even fall down ... ! Amazing ...

I also felt sorry for the young girl, only 18. I calculated wrong before, posted that she was 19. Her birthday, May 14th (born 1990) is four days before mine.

I hope I never experience another bicycle accident. This is the first bicycle accident I've ever had involving a car when I was the sole rider.

When I was 11, I was the passenger on my stingray. My friend was in the front and hit the curb going down a steep hill, probably about 30mph. We used to chase emergency vehicles to see what was happening.

I went flying about 80 feet. My friend just flipped over the handlebars and was ok. I ended up with a broken left femur. Thought I was going to die!

I slid on the gravel, and had lost much of my skin, with gravel and dirt embedded in my legs and arms.

The first hospital I went to wrapped my leg too tight and my leg turned purple and black. There were going to amputate my leg. Thank God my mother got me transferred just in time to Kaiser. They managed to save my leg.

Had a large screw put through my left knee for traction, body cast, took two years before I could walk normal again.

I still have trouble with the knee, and cannot bend my leg like the other one. Leg is still strong, possibly stronger than my other leg! The doctor told me that might happen too!