Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Site Admin

Question Fixing flats, fast?

I've got my routine for fixing flats down pat. In the past week, I've had the opportunity to fix 3. I get more efficient with each task. I always carry a spare tube, air pressure gauge, and of course a little mini-pump.

A friend suggested I try a C02 inflator as they are quicker and take less space than most pumps. I have to admit the mini-pump tends to twist stems, and it takes quite a few strokes to acquire 100 psi or so.

I looked at reviews for C02 inflators, and what few are out there sound a bit dubious. Like all reviews go, some are great, others not so. The poor reviews on all of them suggest they tend towards not latching securly to some valves and then the gas is lost. Also, I like anyone question the recycling issue. I hear the gas is the ambient form, so it's not the stuff locked up in a mole of fossil fuel.

Any tried-and-true suggestions for rock-solid C02 inflators out there?
Old 04-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Site Admin

this is a good one http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4362
you can use the cheap airgun cartridges that walmart sells for 8.00 a box.
I have two of them.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Site Admin

I have Zefal pumps for my bikes, but sometimes I'll go light and carry one of these: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4362

They're faultless and built to last... much more sturdy and small than any plastic CO2 system I've seen or used.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Site Admin

you also pay out the nose for the cartridges.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Site Admin

Default Caveats

It should be noted that the CO2 source issue, while it sounds nice, is pretty small in the big picture. All the CO2 cartridges used by all the cyclists around the world (most places don't use them) amounts to such an infinitesimally small amount of CO2 compared to our other emissions, don't worry about it.

However, CO2 does "leak" through the wall of your tube though (actually depending on the tube material actually dissolves into the tube), so it's a temporary fix. In some cases, you can lose more than 50% of the pressure in 24 hours, so get home and drain the CO2 and refill with regular air.

I've also found that switching to folding bead tires greatly eases the tube removal and replacement time since you don't have to wrench around with a tire iron. Some tires with wire beads are truly a bear to remove and reinstall.

I've been using this model of inflator with good results:

http://www.genuineinnovations.com/bi...px?prodid=1097

And go with the 16g carts... The 12g are pretty skimpy...
Old 04-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Site Admin

Anyone know a good source for 16g cartridges? As Steve mentioned you pay through the nose at the LBS.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Site Admin

I have the same Innovations brand "micro" thing linked above - it's nice that it's so light & compact, but I treat it as a true "band-aid" type fix. There's not usually enough CO2 in a single cartridge to get you back to a fully inflated tire, but it gets you close enough. So, after fixing & flat, I typically point my bike to home, or the nearest bike shop or gas station to get more air.
Also, if you're only carrying 1-2 cartridges & have to use them, then you need to hope you don't get another flat later on your ride. I carry the CO2 on my fairly short commute as a way of "going light", but if you're out for a long ride, it may be better to have the hand pump.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Site Admin

I carry both a co2 inflator and a frame pump backup. Nothing beats the co2 for getting quickly back on the road.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Site Admin

Default Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneshaker View Post
Anyone know a good source for 16g cartridges? As Steve mentioned you pay through the nose at the LBS.
Bike Tires Direct. That have an online presence and a store out by the airport. $1.95 for generics, I think.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Site Admin

Depending on the inflator you are using you may need threaded cartridges.

These cost more than non-threaded.