Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Site Admin

Angry Lions, Tigers, and Dogs? Oh my!

My route of the day:
http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...r/919468187112

Today I enjoyed the relatively nice weather and took a trek all around the edges of Vancouver proper. Just for fun, I rode on parts of every single freeway too: SR 14, I-5, SR 500, and I-205. Anyway, I'm heading eastbound on Fourth Plain Boulevard. Two lanes in each direction with no bike lane. I'm more or less taking the right lane just enough so that cars have to consciously pass me instead of blowing past within a few inches. It worked for a good while. Right as I'm getting to Falk Road, I get passed within only a few inches by a white sedan. Not only that, there was a pitbull sticking out of the rear passenger-side window. Even worse, the driver then yelled at his dog as he lunged at me. I pulled over and called the cops, but I was unfortunately unable to get a full plate number.

Have you had any unfortunate run-ins with aggressive dogs? …or any animal for that matter. Please share your stories.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr98664 View Post
[snip]
I'm more or less taking the right lane just enough so that cars have to consciously pass me instead of blowing past within a few inches.
[snip]
...in which JR learns Vehicular Cycling Rule Number Four: it doesn't pay to be subtle when you need to control the lane.

When I emphatically do not want a car to use my lane, I squarely plant myself in the left tire track. I know, this seems extreme, but it falls under the "far right as practicable" clause of the UVC, because allowing a motor vehicle to pass you in a twelve foot lane is not "practicable."

Don't forget to be polite and get over when the circumstances allow you to safely do so, but under no circumstances should you move over so far to the right as to compromise safety, esp. from drivers who think that "bicycle" means "pass without thought."

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 03-13-2009, 07:26 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr98664 View Post
Have you had any unfortunate run-ins with aggressive dogs? …or any animal for that matter. Please share your stories.
I could count them on one hand. They've also all been outside of town by at least several miles. IIRC, three medium to large size dogs, which I dismounted and confronted on the other side of my bike. (it's like a fence, they'll protect their side, and respect yours. Usually...) The fourth, that I can remember, was a shihtzu on Parkinen road. I figured that was as good a time as any to test the water bottle trick. One squirt in the face (third try, it's tough to aim back from a moving bike) spooked the little guy. Don't think I'll rely on that trick, but that little guy wasn't about to do me any real harm anyway.

Other than that, in town it seems like the unleashed dogs in town don't last long until the Universal Menace runs them over. I guess that might be one of the pitfalls if everyone stopped driving; the unfriendly, uncontrollable dogs that chase people would need to be confronted directly once the automatic automotive death sentence is gone. Now that's some serious cost-v-benefit topic there, mixed blessings run amok!
Old 03-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Site Admin

I have had to get off my bike once as a lab went after me and I could not get out of there fast enough. Owner yelled at the dog, then I yelled at the owner.

Back in the day on one of my regular rides this dog would come running out of the yard chasing me. This happened once, twice, but on the third time I was ready. Slowed downn enough for the dog to catch up and unclicked my foot swing and hit with the cycling shoes. Never a problem after that Hard plastic soled shoes can be used very well.