Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Site Admin

Default Westside Countri-neers: Road Improvement

I was out on a glorious ride today in the environs of the west side country lanes.

Although basically lost for much of the time, I was approaching a familiar sight... "Oh no! Cornellius/Schefflin Road!" [also known as Zion Church Rd]. My approach was from Roy Road, and last time I was there, it was a short nightmare stretch. But I am happy to announce that odot has done a great service to cyclists along this stretch. A beautifully wide smooth bike lane in both directions all the way to/from the round-about.

Also, there is a lot of work being done on the stretch from the round-about to Cornellius. They have the whole stretch closed off. Long Rd may well be improved soon. Didn't get a good look at what they are doing, but it promises to be a good thing. For now, be prepared to go all the way through Forest Grove [Hwy 47] if you're heading south. This will be the case through Feb-9th.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Site Admin

Default Praise be good!

Finally Washington County even acknowledges there are such things as bike lanes.

Now if we can just get them to add bike lanes to urban roads. Beverton-Hillsdale to the Multnomah Co. line is an embarrassment.

~n

PS: if you are listening, Butner Rd needs a bike/pedestrian lane.... AND SPEEDBUMPS!
Old 01-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Site Admin

The New and Improved Cornelius-Schefflin road is indeed a wonder. One can now go from Roy Rd to the now-protected left turn onto Wren Rd - a very pretty stretch in every season. The red clover fields in late spring are particularly breathtaking.

I had heard (do not quote me on this) that whenever a county road out there is up for repavement, it will also get proper shoulders. As most of them have no shoulders, this is great!

Butner. Ah, how special. Parts of Walker Rd, as well. I only ride on Butner from the SW Downing intersection to SW Huntington; then I drop down to Park Way - gets me to the same place, and is wider and has slower traffic.