Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2006, 11:54 PM
Site Admin

Default Portland is the #1 City

This evening I was invited to a prestigious celebration at the EcoTrust Building (probably due to a contact list error). Apparently Sustainlane has ranked Portland as the #1 most sustainable city in the country (but you knew that already, right). Sustainlane has spent the past year studying different ways in which cities across the country contribute to healthy living.

According to CEO James Elson, there is a huge media coverage of sustainability even in the mainstream. Thanks to the work that Sustainlane has been doing, everyone is looking to Portland more than ever to learn how to really make a city work.

Well sustainability is cool and all, but what does any of that have to do with the P-town bikey scene? Well interestingly enough, Sustainlane weighed different aspects of the cities based on issues like clean water, air quality, affordable housing, LEED buildings, and of course transportation. They gave the most weight to issues like public transportation, fairless areas, bike commuting, and programs like flexcar. The reason of course is that alternative transportation supports all other areas. <a href="http://www.yourbodypower.org/ode2bike.htm">Less cars
means cleaner air and water, more connected communities, etc etc</a> (yeah you know all that). Plus Warren Karlenzig, who's the chief Strategy Officer for Sustainlane is even more of a bike fanatic than me. He supposedly rides 40 miles a day on his commute (I can barely believe it).

Some of the other amazing people there included our own wonderful Amy Stork, who rode the cargo bike over to the event. Marcia McReynolds who promotes community dialogue (even among disparate groups). I also met Beth Olsen and Dane. Beth is the Associate Editor for Oregon Home magazine which promotes healthy homes. What interested me is that the photographers for her magazine use all natural daylight to photograph the houses. Not many people outside the photography field realize the huge amount of energy used by professionals for high impact strobes and flash batteries. There was such an amazing energy there, which only goes to show why Portland is ranked the country's most sustainable city. Thanks to all of you who help keep it that way. On the way out I caught up with this big bike group and ended up riding back to SE with Daniel (formerly of City Repair). We chatted a lot about the bikey scene and had a fun ride down traffic free Naito Parkway.

Aaron