Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Site Admin

Exclamation SW Broadway and then some.

Today, I was making my way down SW Broadway at about 5:35pm or so, and traffic was just a mess. I didn't know it was physically possible to have so many cars in a bike lane for block after block. After swerving around car door, and soon having taken every single lane at one time or another in ten short blocks, I move back into the now clear bike lane in front of the Heathman. Bad idea. Just then a valet opens the door, and I yell at him, swerving to miss it.

Later on NW 10th Ave, just south of Lovejoy, I made my way from the left lane into the right lane in order to make a right turn. Knowing that the streetcar tracks will eat my tires, I stayed clear. As I touched the seam between the concrete and asphalt however, it turned out that they weren't flush, nearly sending me falling under the cars behind me.

On my way home to Vancouver, I was in the bike lane on N Williams crossing Cook, when a motorist heading east (likely from the Fremont Bridge ramp) preceded to cross Williams without even looking, nearly hitting me before he stopped. I know I had to have been decently visible, as once I was back in Vancouver, I was riding down Mill Plain Boulevard (a main arterial with a good amount of traffic, which means lots of blinding headlights) when a pedestrian actually came up to me and told me that he could see me from what had seemed like a mile away.

Any similar incidents or problems at these location?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Site Admin

Jonathan Maus (our host) has discussed the SW Broadway problem recently on his blog. This is a classic example of an area where Bike Lanes Don't Work, yet it's an important cyclist connector route.

I'm thinking Portland needs to create a lane complete with a separating berm, with a dead zone (second berm) outside of the berm so you can't get doored.

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Site Admin

I nearly had a run-in with a guy on bike riding the right traffic lane (not the sidewalk/MUP) on the Broadway Bridge the other night. Not that I would've necessarily been bothered except he was going all-ninja with no lights or reflectors in the back. I could barely make him out at all riding along the bridge among the headlights.

He was well-intentioned enough with a white blinky in front I guess, but dude, nobody can see you...
Old 12-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Site Admin

I say we trade the Broadway bike lane for a car-free, bike only Park Blocks and a second round draft choice.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:56 AM
Site Admin

I would really love to see the park blocks made into the bike boulevard they've been talking about, assuming they can figure out what to do with the stop signs.

Here's an idea: cars don't use them as through streets, so make each intersection a turn only for cars, (in the direction of the respective one-way street, obviously) as in they must turn. That way they won't cry about loss of parking. Then put in low-key bike/ped only traffic lights that will allow cyclists to get a green wave and travel through quickly and efficiently.

Then take out the lane on Broadway, but leave a nice wider outer lane, so that cyclists could share it with cars, but not limited to the bike lane. I think the valets and hoteliers would think twice about double parking in the lane of traffic.

Cyclists would prefer Park, but still be perfectly okay to use Broadway. What do you think of that idea? So long as Park doesn't slow me down like it does now with all of the stop signs, I think I would be tempted to enjoy a nice ride under all of those trees.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Site Admin

Sounds good. Of course, we'd need real traffic engineers to figure out how to deal with cross traffic etc. Maybe switch out the stop signs for Bikes Yield signs? And I guess put in stop signs for cars crossing Park?

Oh, and while they're at it, let's change the current ambiguous pedestrian warning signs along the park blocks (for cars crossing Park) to something big and obvious, like "CARS MUST YIELD TO PEDESTRIANS IN CROSSING." I see too many idiot drivers (most of them, naturally, in SUVs) ignoring the zebra crossing and near-missing pedestrians crossing there, just so they can make it to the red light a block away half a second sooner. Their time is so valuable, y'know. A couple weeks ago one driver stopped for pedestrians and the speed demon behind him didn't. Bang! Luckily no one seemed hurt.

As for Broadway, maybe replace the bike lane with sharrow markings? The door zone there is scary.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Site Admin

The hotel zone on broadway is a scary place. Double parking is one issue, however they double park and block a lane of traffic with out qualms. Taxi's are just as bad in that area. When I drive I am tempted to honk my horn every time I get stuck behind a double parker, but don't. Maybe I will start.

Then there are the people getting thier cars loaded. I was riding up broadway not in my granny gear so not slow, but I can't ride 20 mph up hill, I would not think that fast either. This guy was getting his lugage or what not loaded into this trunk, he was parked in a leagal spot. But this is the kicker. He was standing in the middle of the bike lane smoking supervising the loading of his trunk. I whistled at him so he knew I was coming and hope to get it in his head that he should not be standing there. After I pass he yells "slow down." By that time I was well past and was not able to retort, darn it.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:02 AM
Site Admin

Default Retorts...

Oh, you mean something like, "Get out of the ----ing road!"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsroll View Post
After I pass he yells "slow down." By that time I was well past and was not able to retort, darn it.

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by djasonpenney View Post
Oh, you mean something like, "Get out of the ----ing road!"?
That did come to mind. But more like "Since you think it a good idea to stand in the bike lane. I think it a good idea to ride on the sidewalk."