Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2008, 07:15 AM
Site Admin

Default attacked by infrastructure- The Steel Bridge

I was crossing the Steel Bridge westbound this morning when I came upon the lift. I noticed the "do not walk" hand sign come on, but I rode past it because: A) I wasn't a pedestrian; and B) I was under the impression that there was a flashing light and some sort of verbal cue that UP is planning on raising the lift. However, I'm about 10 feet before the end and the gate starts to close. Fortunately, it must have a motion sensor so it pauses and I escape without having to take a ride to the top.

The worst part is that there was a rider behind me who didn't make and was on the lift as it was going up.

I've always come across this section and had to stop when the lift is already in the air. However, I was sure that this bridge has a mroe robust warning system than a hand signal. Am I wrong because I don't want to be in another situation where I unknowingly risk getting stuck on the lift.

Last edited by ME 2; 11-26-2008 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:57 AM
Site Admin

Good thing it wasn't a Railroad Crossing. Ignoring those warnings can be fatal
Old 11-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Site Admin

i havn't been there for the lift lately, but I do recall a beeping siren type of thing that warned of the impending bridge lift.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:58 AM
Site Admin

I came across a joint city agency publication on the eastbank and crossing the steel bridge. It notes that in addition to signals, there is a public announcement and that it is monitored 24\7 by an operator who will make sure the span is clear before raising it. None of that happened when I came upon it.