Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Site Admin

Default Removing bicycle decals?

I just got a Surly frame and wish to remove most of the decals, except for the 'fatties fit fine', lol.

Any tips on removing bicycle decals? These are not the usual contact adhesive type, but seem to be water slide decals...
and btw, I don't wish to remove the paint under the decals!!!

Last edited by keithwwalker; 11-24-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Site Admin

Are you trying to reuse the sticker ? If not......

Should be able to get corner up with clean razor blade without hurting paint. Pull the rest of the sticker off. Anything left use a towel, and some goof off product. Be gentle on the razor blade. Both your hand, and paint. You could also soak the sticker wet first with warm water to try to loosen it up. Particularly on the corner to get it started. Or use a heat gun to warm up the sticker. May soften back side of sticker. Have the goof off to get anything left behind after wards.

Don't do those methods if you are trying to save it obviously. You'll only save it if you can peel it off clean.
Still have bike friends in the Portland area
Attended the Nov 07 rally under bridge on that wet day
I own Trek 2000, 7200, 5300. Sidewinder tadpole trike, and a Kinetic Sculpture
Have a MillerMatic welder, and lots of other fun tools...
Old 11-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwwalker View Post
I just got a Surly frame and wish to remove most of the decals, except for the 'fatties fit fine', lol.

Any tips on removing bicycle decals? These are not the usual contact adhesive type, but seem to be water slide decals...
and btw, I don't wish to remove the paint under the decals!!!
Heat gun LOW SETTING be patient, and peel easy.
Any remaining adhesive should be easy to remove with Isopropyl Alcohol on a rag. Or goo-gone...
Old 11-25-2008, 07:43 AM
Site Admin

Not familiar with the surly stickers, but many manufacturers are putting them under the clear coat. The last thing you want to do is compromise your paint job.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Site Admin

Here is Surly's response, thanks!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Keith,

Hey, there's very little that upsets us around here. Removing decals is no big deal. You'll need a high-tech fingernail attachment for your finger. And you might want to clean up residue with some citrus cleaner -- something safe for paint, mind you. Spot test it or you might be more disappointed than had you left the decals on. Park and Pedro's make decent stuff. Goo Gone probably works, too. No clear coat to contend with. It's that simple.

Thanks,
John

Customer Service
Surly Bikes

Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 6:18 PM
To: surly
Subject: removing decals

Probably a question you don't want to hear, but how do you remove the decals on a Surly frame? They are dry transfers, but is there a clear coat atop?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Site Admin

Default hair dryer

KWW, i had a fellow tell me as we were riding along that he'd used a hair dryer to heat the decals to ease their removal... said they came off easy that way.

He had a new Surly LHT --- is this a trend ? IMO, very nicely designed bikes, suffering from hideous graphics. I'd remove 'em, too.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Site Admin

I've used my wife's hair-dryer and a Costco card to remove the stickers on both of my Crosschecks. Goo Gone is OK, but tends to spread the goo around. For me it works better to clean up the frame after 98% of the sticker is gone. Be patient, get it good & hot and scrape away. I would advise against a razor blade because you will most likely scratch the paint.

It takes some time and is tedious, but the stickers will come off and you won't damage the paint.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:04 PM
Site Admin

Thanks! I already tried with a razor blade, but without heat. The heat should do the trick!
Old 12-27-2008, 05:58 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikieboy View Post
He had a new Surly LHT --- is this a trend ? IMO, very nicely designed bikes, suffering from hideous graphics. I'd remove 'em, too.
Yes, I have a Surly Crosscheck and the graphics are hideous.

Anyway, I used a hairdryer and a sharp steak knife to curl up the edge of the decal. Once a 3/8 inch swath of decal was turned up on edge, I was able to start peeling, but keeping the heat on the decal as it peeled off. Otherwise the decal would be too brittle and break.

Next time I will be smart and purchase an infrared heat lamp bulb and use that instead of a hair dryer.

kww

Last edited by keithwwalker; 12-29-2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:20 AM
Site Admin

A couple people on the SurlyLHT google group said duct tape worked "almost too easily". Not sure how they did it exactly, but it may be worth experimenting with.