Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Angry New Development makes a bike lane disappear...

Was checking out Barrows Rd this weekend... when I noticed all the new construction on the actual road... Then I realized, there's no bike lane.

It appears that there was one out here at one time, and it's the prefered route of many, so what happened to the bike lane?

Anybody know why this happened?
K'Tesh
Old 11-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Site Admin

Default My guess...

There seems to be some concensus amongst traffic engineers that bicycle lanes don't work in roundabouts; less safe and all that.
The opinion I've gathered is that ALL traffic needs to be using the same lane to be seen in this situation.
This is a wonderful concept, requiring drivers to pay attention to where they are going.
From the looks of the picture an out of state developer decided their landscaping was more important than allowing bicycles on the road infron of their SUV.
Shall we bring up this code violation at the Beaverton BAC or merely let the land developer know that their unauthorized ommision of the bicycle lane leaves them open to a lawsuit?
Perhaps Both?
YEAH, LEGAL CARPET BOMBING!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Site Admin

What's the width of the road right there. I would assume that it's at least a 12' lane and 6' Bike Lane. Does the road then narrow down to just 12'? Bike lanes should be dropped before roundabouts, but the narrowness looks like it could be a problem.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:07 AM
Site Admin

The bike lane needs to go farther into the circle.

From a technical standpoint, after the sign everyone should be doing 15 mph. Unfortunately, people will actually start braking at that point, so they will be going significantly faster at that point, leading to conflict.

Add the lane back (or just widen the road) until it starts to turn to the right (about the second yellow sign) where cars will actually be approaching 15 mph.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:49 AM
Site Admin

I ride Barrows 3-4 times a week to avoid Scholls Ferry.

It is a mess. The bike lane disappears multiple times on it's length.

The asphalt east of Walnut is abysmal. The new layer does not cover the entirety of the old layer making riding a real PITA.

Then at the eastern intersection with Scholls there is more construction where potholes and patches make it such that you have to ride the middle of the lane to avoid the mess.

It is still a better route than climbing up Scholls Ferry where the road drops to one lane and there's no shoulder.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:23 AM
Site Admin

I ride the stretch of Barrows from Scholls Fy to Walnut on my commute each day. Twice a day, five times a week, and I often make side trips during the weekends to visit my in-laws who live in an apartment along this stretch. In my route to Tualatin this traffic circle is my favorite intersection in the entire trip. The speed limit is 10 mph on the circle and well marked. Traffic HAS to yield and they do so readily. I also talked to a traffic engineer w/ the city who said that the entirety of Barrows when completely finished (there's still a major retail project waiting to be completed) will have a bike lanes on both sides when completed. In my mind, I'd like to have a WHOLE LOT MORE of these small traffic circles that force traffic to yield to all vehicles. Before the traffic circle was installed there WAS a bike lane to the intersection. I feel much safer with the circle. This intersection is heavily traveled by bikes (heavily for a suburban area) and my wife often sees cyclists there as she delivers kids to and fro in the area. After the circle was finished she remarked to me how much better the intersection is now because it forces autos to slow down to a speed SLOWER than bikes. Its actually easier to navigate this circle on a bike than in an auto.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Site Admin

I'm with Vincentpaul here; we ride this way on our Roy Rogers-Tualatin-Hall loop.

This is one part of Barrows Rd that I enjoy. I merge into the main lane much earlier than the bike lane ends, though, and have never had a problem with any of the car traffic leading up or through the circle.

Can't wait for Barrows to be completely done, however; the here-then-gone bike lanes are an annoyance!
Old 11-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Question What about the part between S.F. and the circle?

I noticed that there's no bike lane from Scholls Ferry Rd and the traffic circle in either direction.

On Barrows, facing Scholls Ferry Rd, North of the circle.

It is my experience, in areas like this, where I have right to the full width of the road, motorists will often ignore that, then crowd me (if I'm not careful). I also find that I'll often hear "Get the F**K off the Road!" when I take the lane by motorists who feel that the road is for motor vehicles only.

IMHO Bike lanes leading up to (and out of) the circle seem needed, as does better signage (bikes on roadway). Perhaps ramps for those who don't want to play in traffic through the circle but want to ride on the sidewalk (I think of them as chicken-outs, and the reverse as duck-ins).

If someone can ride faster than cars through there, then I suspect that they will possibly (intentionally, or unintentionally) pass, then cut off a car at the circle. Which would only lead to bad blood.

Just my $.02
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 11-20-2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Site Admin

K'Tesh, regarding the lack of bike lanes between the circle and Scholls:

At that point, I've already taken the lane. I stay in the center of whichever lane I need to be in; most of the time, it's the center turn lane, turning left.

There's two turn lanes for the left turn there; I have *never* had a problem with cars at that intersection yelling, crowding, intimidating, whatever-- they just get in the other turn lane.

Now, maybe in other areas, other towns, you have had problems with car drivers in similar intersections-- but have you had a problem with car drivers at THIS intersection?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb No, not THAT intersection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven_kd7yct View Post
Now, maybe in other areas, other towns, you have had problems with car drivers in similar intersections-- but have you had a problem with car drivers at THIS intersection?
No, not THAT intersection, it's just my concern that we're going to see it happen. However, I will add that that intersection (with it's circle) is unique in my experience. I'm mostly concerned with the region from the circle to Scholls, it's an uphill, which by it's nature will have a natural slowing effect on bikes. Slow bikes in the lane often yield grumpy cagers.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 11-21-2008 at 10:01 AM.