Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Thumbs down And Tonight's Darwin Award Contestant Is...

Dufus DeJour was riding a dark Mountain bike (did have front reflector) wearing dark clothes, no helmet, no lights at the NE corner of SW Fairfield St. and SW Cedar Hills Blvd. (Beaverton) tonight. It was about 7pm (11/11/08 ), and raining hard. (edit... Oh yeah, nearly forgot... No rear brakes!)

He's stopped at the crosswalk, near the Plaid Pantry, crossing Cedar Hills, and he waits for the light to change. I had spotted him, and was planning on clueing him in as to why he was risking his life riding as he was. I didn't need much to convince him though. A car, EB, turned North, and cut him off (despite the crosswalk signal in his favor). He asked if I had seen that, and I said I sure did.

Then, I told him about Roy Tze's fatal crash. I told him about how big the fines are, presuming he lives, if he had been hit... and I pointed him in the direction of Dollar Tree for some flashlights. I don't think he was ready for the rebuke, but I'm hoping that he gets smart quick. Who knows, having that car nearly mowing him down, may be a better motivator than I could ever be.

Be Safe Out There!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 11-12-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:15 AM
Site Admin

I live in the area and I see a lot of that. My belief is that they think it is lit-up and they should be seen.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Site Admin

I think a lot of uneducated bicyclists think, "hey, I can see fine, I doan need no stinkin' light!"

The message we need to give Mr. Road Pizza is that, at the speeds that bicycles travel, unless you're on a dimly lit bike path the main purpose of lights is that others can see you.

There was an infamous bicycle accident in Eugene in the 1970's. Two bicycles. No lights. Both died. End of story.

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 11-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb A request for help in Beaverton...

I called the Beaverton Mayor's 24-Hour hotline (503 526 3700) and requested that we perhaps investigate on how we could duplicate Portland's free light giveaway.

I'd love to see the cops pull over riders w/o lights, hand them lights (and get them to install them), then give them a written warning which then gets turned into a ticket should they get caught riding again w/o lights (plus the new offense). I don't want people to get tickets, I just want to make sure that they don't invite trouble with cagers.

No lights only invites Cage RAGE!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 11-20-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:39 AM
Site Admin

"Cage Rage"

Hah, awesome and oh so true. I pretty much ride two wheels motorized or not and sometimes it seems black and white: they are either trying to kill me whether they know it or not (more often not) or they are in my way =P
Old 11-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Site Admin

Don't even get me started on this one: I have nearly had it with fellow cyclists that don't have the courtesy to be lit on darkened BIKE ROUTES; let alone when they are out riding with the metal dinosaurs (which are all Theropods btw. Theropod = Meat Eaters)...
Old 11-13-2008, 04:29 PM
Site Admin

My most recent favorite - midday in the Beaverton Fred Meyer parking lot, down at the grocery end...

Person riding on bicycle wearing one of those full-face helmets, riding no hands, head down, TEXTING.

You know, I pay total and complete attention in that part of the parking lot, not matter which vehicle I am operating
Old 11-13-2008, 08:00 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
My most recent favorite - midday in the Beaverton Fred Meyer parking lot, down at the grocery end...

Person riding on bicycle wearing one of those full-face helmets, riding no hands, head down, TEXTING.

You know, I pay total and complete attention in that part of the parking lot, not matter which vehicle I am operating
A couple winters ago: I'm stopped at the intersection of NE 7th & Fremont, waiting for the light to change (cause I stop for red lights, see?). Miss Fashion Sense goes by in front of me southbound on 7th. No lights, no hands, dark sweater, black skirt (I think), dark socks (I think), no helmet, chatting on her cell phone. She dissappeared 100 feet down the road.

Instead of tickets, can't we just hand them organ donor cards?

Jeff
Old 11-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Site Admin

lynnef, you see, those those full-face helmets make you immortal, so, no worries . Besides, if it's over there by grocery, everyone has to be on the look out for some of the more loopy folk at the can recycling area. Totally safe for texting hands free !

Tonight, I saw a guy riding West on Beav Hillsdale around the area of the 217 overpass. Had a front light which was not great, though o.k., but on the back, he had one of those teensy-weensy, about the size of a few grains of wheat sized red blinkies. Hey man !! It's legal!! F#%ck Yeah!
Old 11-14-2008, 06:43 AM
Site Admin

Couple of weeks ago, I saw a guy dressed all in black (wasn't dark yet, but I don't think he had lights), no helmet, no hands, LIGHTING A CIGARETTE AS HE RODE!

I'll bet with the increased air flow, that cig was probably down to the filter within a minute. Some people ...