Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Site Admin

Default WA 665-XVS on my way to school.

Today I was riding on my way to school the way I normally do. I take the road leading up to one of the driveways into school because it has a bike lane which is nice when traffic backs up. So I riding in the bike lane, fully lit and then some. A car full of three or four students lays on the horn (improper use of auditory device—$124) and swerves into the bike lane, trying to hit me. They're laughing at me when they cut me off into the bike lane (failure to yield to bicycle in the bike lane). I turn into the driveway, and they begin tailgating and honking at me. After I signal stop at a stop sign, they rev their engine and speed past me on the right.

They must not have realized that from my vantage point atop my saddle, I could not only see each of their faces, but also their plate. Our school has a police officer on duty, so I go and tell him what happened. I give him the plate number, and he goes off to tase them. (I'm just kidding about the tasing part)

Too bad that the officer didn't actually see them commit the acts. That could have been one hefty ticket. At the very least one can hope that they all had their parking permits revoked.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Site Admin

Glad you're alright after the menacing/intimidation from these children. If you come to find that their parking permits are indeed revoked - it might be fun to see if they try to sneak their vehicle in the parking lot anyway. If so, just point the officer in their direction again. That way their negative karma will continue to burn off and you can continue to send the message that their behavior is not 'ok'.

I had a similar encounter with a bunch of kids in a little blue Subaru WRX that revved their engine and called "Nice bike!" and such at SW 6th and Ericksson in Beaverton a couple weeks ago. Startled the heck out of me when they honked - got me steamed.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Site Admin

Today I was pulled off of the side of a road (a relatively low-traffic collector, if you want to get fancy) to report an illegally parked car. It was parked the wrong direction, in a no parking zone, and blocking the bike lane. Triple Whammy!

As I was on the phone with the cops, a car full of kids in their late teens/early twenties yelled out the window. "Bikes are <expletive> <homophobic remark>."

I was about to tell the plate number to that cops, but they were already speeding off. Silly motorists.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:41 AM
Site Admin

Default If I were a billionaire...

If I were a billionaire I'd spend a week countering every single one of those automotive TV ads during prime time with one showing an old fat bald guy wearing a wife beater smoking a cigarette with nicotine stained fingers in a beat up trash truck billowing gobs of smoke out the back, with a voice-over saying, "this is what car ownership is really about!" (I watched my hour of prime time for the week last night and was subjected to six of these damn "aren't cars wonderful" ads.)

--jason "guess I've had enough coffee this morning" p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr98664 View Post
...yelled out the window. "Bikes are <expletive> <homophobic remark>...."

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 11-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Site Admin

Angry Two strikes, WA 226-UOV.

Map du jour.
Today I was riding on EB Mill Plain Boulevard at about 7:20 am on my way to school. Three lanes in each direction, just enough room in the right lane for a small car to pass without going over the line—if they're good. I'm riding as far to the right as is safe, when a car whizzes pass me honking their horn. I wouldn't have thought much of it, had this driver not tried to run me off of the road before.

They're a student a my high school, and I still remember our previous incident. If my vision and memory serve me correctly, it was WA 226-UOV, a red Honda or similar.

We've got a police officer at our school, so I've just got to tell him on Monday (he was off today). Considering that I have reported these incidents with to him, but that he has not seen them in person, what is he allowed to do? The school themselves said that they could likely rescind his parking pass, but what can legally be done against him with only myself as a witness, and no physical damage yet (after all, that's what I'm trying to prevent)?