Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Site Admin

Default Bikes and Sidewalks.

Someone riding their bike without lights on the sidewalk through the Rose Quarter transit center almost collided with my girlfriend this morning. She has no health insurance.

Speaking of bikes and sidewalks, while having coffee at pix last weekend I noticed a couple riding eastbound on the north sidewalk on Division. This reminded me of a complaint someone had made several months ago about a woman on a bike nearly colliding with him after riding from the sidewalk into the crosswalk at 13th and Division. According to his complaint she was going (in even what I would consider) the wrong way, that is ‘against’ traffic on the sidewalk.

I realize that outside of the city center, it is legal to ride on the sidewalk, and also that sidewalks are 'two-way' and though it feels unsafe and awkward, on occasions I will do it out of mostly necessity/safety (though 10% from convienience).

But is there not a consensus that if one rides on the sidewalk, one should ride on the in the direction of traffic on the road?
Old 10-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Site Admin

I don't think there is a consensus. In fact I think that the most common reason for riding on the sidewalk is a desire to go against the direction of automobile traffic for less than 1 block. Personally I hate when people ride on the sidewalk and rarely do it, but other than riding slow and avoiding people, which is required by law I don't think there are rules about how to do it.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Site Admin

Default Yes and yes...

Riding on the sidewalk is more dangerous to you than riding on the street.

Riding against traffic under any circumstances is more dangerous than riding with traffic.

All that notwithstanding, there are indeed times that I ride on the sidewalk and against traffic, or that I can understand when others might choose to do so.

One example for me is when I'm westbound on SW Alexander, I'll hop over to the left side and then follow Cornelius Pass Road for the one block to our bead store. Making the left turn right across from Reedville Cafe is a nightmare, what with cars pouring constantly from both directions off of TV Highway.

I also sympathize with people who ride through the municipal eff-up known as Cedar Hills Boulevard between Hall and Walker. I just aggressively take the lane (see my signature), but I can understand why others might not care for it.

All of the above points are important. First of all, one must yield to pedestrians when riding on a sidewalk. Second, motorists crossing your path of travel will not see you, regardless of which direction they are approaching. The onus is upon you to look out for them as they exit onto the street or turn across your path.

If you can't handle doing all of that, get the heck off of the sidewalk (to paraphrase the apparent thoughts of the idjit I reported to the cops yesterday).

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 10-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Default It doesn't matter which direction when on sidewalks...

Outside of where laws and ordenances ban it, riding your bike on the sidewalk, in Oregon, is legal in either direction.

Quote:
Basic rules of the sidewalk for bicyclists are contained in ORS 814.410 which provides as follows:

814.410. Unsafe operation of bicycle on sidewalk; penalty.

(1) A person commits the offense of unsafe operation of a bicycle on a sidewalk if the person does any of the following:
(a) Operates the bicycle so as to suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and move into the path of a vehicle that is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard.

(b) Operates a bicycle upon a sidewalk and does not give an audible warning before overtaking and passing a pedestrian and does not yield the right of way to all pedestrians on the sidewalk.

(c) Operates a bicycle on a sidewalk in a careless manner that endangers or would be likely to endanger any person or property.

(d) Operates the bicycle at a speed greater than an ordinary walk when approaching or entering a crosswalk, approaching or crossing a driveway or crossing a curb cut or pedestrian ramp and a motor vehicle is approaching the crosswalk, driveway, curb cut or pedestrian ramp. This paragraph does not require reduced speeds for bicycles either:
(A) At places on sidewalks or other pedestrian ways other than places where the path for pedestrians or bicycle traffic approaches or crosses that for motor vehicle traffic; or

(B) When motor vehicles are not present.
(e) Operates an electric assisted bicycle on a sidewalk.
(2) Except as otherwise specifically provided by law, a bicyclist on a sidewalk or in a crosswalk has the same rights and duties as a pedestrian on a sidewalk or in a crosswalk.

(3) The offense described in this section, unsafe operation of a bicycle on a sidewalk, is a Class D traffic infraction.
I take the sidewalk (against traffic) when I have to travel a short distance to a destination on the same side of the road as I currently am.

I find it truely annoying though the number of Jackass peds who holler at me when I'm on the sidewalk telling that it's against the law (when I'm giving proper warnings, and traveling slowly). I'm certain that these are the same people who yell at me to get off the road. Catch 22.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 10-15-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Site Admin

Default Legal or Not

Children, Tourists the Elderly and A$$holes ride on sidewalks.

(except when I do it)
Old 10-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Site Admin

I don't think any of us here menace pedestrians on sidewalks, or the roads for that matter

My process for riding on sidewalks (K'Tesh falls over in disbelief)
1) slow WAY down when there is a pedestrian
2) ring bell
3) only ride on two sidewalks, to date:
a) Sunset Transit Center down to the Peterkort Shopping Center; very few pedestrians, NO crossing streets or driveways.
b) the little bit where the bike path drops one onto Canyon Rd (westbound) from Raab Rd under Hwy 26, until I can cross Canyon at the light and go up the hill and get onto the Sunset Hwy bikepath (zero foot traffic, no driveways)

I will, however, ride on the right side of salmon, causing them to slow and possibly have to move toward the oncoming traffic.

*salmon - wrong way cyclists in bike lane
Old 10-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_dutchman View Post
children, tourists the elderly and a$$holes ride on sidewalks.

(except when i do it)
qfe .
Old 10-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_dutchman View Post
Children, Tourists the Elderly and A$$holes ride on sidewalks.

(except when I do it)
Either you are missing a few classifications or my wife and I have just been insulted.

Not that I give a rat's @$$.

My wife and I ride our trikes and *often* ride on the sidewalks between Beaverton and Hillsboro. It is that or my wife would ride... period!

We have a blast rollin' along at a few mph giving all due courtesy to the pedestrains we may meet along the way. My wife simply cringes at the thought of having to ride in a bike lane next to 2 and 3 ton iron death machines.

Besides, how often do you have to pop up on the sidewalk to hit that walk light? I thought so! ...and do you dismount and walk your bike while off the roadway? I didn't think so!

I'll pop up on a sidewalk on my own from time to time... Farmington in downtown Beaverton? Scholls Ferry at Beaverton Hillsdale? Near Joe's, Performance Bicycles, and that general shopping area? Anyone taking the lane in these places often takes their life in their own hands.

General rule applies: you ride where you feel safe!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:50 AM
Site Admin

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Nature View Post
my wife and I have just been insulted.

My wife and I ride our trikes and *often* ride on the sidewalks
I apologize if you feel insulted. My inclusion of the words "Except when I do it" was supposed to infuse a little irony into the post. I have every confidence that the riders who frequent this forum are not the hooligans who buzz pedestrians on sidewalks and foster ill will, so my blanket condemnation was not directed at you.

Still if you are riding trikes, you can consider yourselves honorary elderly and toodle on the sidewalks with all of the rights and responsibility that the title awards.

Last edited by flying_dutchman; 10-17-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Site Admin

Okay... I feel better now... I think.