Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Site Admin

Default What time do you leave to commute

When do you need to hit the saddle to be to work or where ever on time ?

For me between 6:50AM and 7AM ... yeah I beat a lot of rush hour - but I'm not a morning person. My day starts at 7:30AM its about a 20min ride
Old 10-12-2008, 12:30 AM
Site Admin

My high school starts at 7:25, and I need to be rolling by absolutely no later than 7:05. I make sure I am done eating my breakfast and reading Yehuda Moon by 7:00. With my OCD breakfast making schedule, everything works out perfectly.

My commute then averages about 18 minutes of wheels spinning (15 minutes if I'm late), and a few minutes stopped at lights and whatnot. I've only been impossibly late once, so I just took Mill Plain (a straight shot, but a major six-lane arterial with no room for bikes) and shaved my commute down to a svelte 14 minutes. Even better, my first period teacher is too lazy to mark anyone tardy.

Luckily, major intersections end up being placed almost exactly in one-mile increments from my house, so it works great for keeping my on schedule.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Site Admin

Default Around 6:00 am

It's about a 10 mile commute for me. It takes 45 - 50 minutes. I take a change of clothes and shower at work. I'm ready by my start time of 7:30. It's dark all the way now.

My quit time is 4:00 pm, and after changing and getting the bike out of the underground garage, I'm usually on the road about 4:15, and home around 5:00 - 5:15, depending on how hard I want to push and how long I have to stop at intersections. And whether I get a flat. I've had 3 in the last couple of weeks.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Site Admin

Smile I'm Spoiled...

2.37 miles, about half of which is through the Terpenning (THPRD) complex on MUP's. Eleven minutes elapsed if I poke along, ten minutes if I hurry and I catch the one traffic light.

I know, it's a tough life, but someone's gotta do it.

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 10-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Site Admin

Default 5:45 AM Is when I Start

It's a 45 to 50 min ride...13.06 miles. But it's a great way to start my day, I wouldn't want to start it any other way. But in the afternoon as I climb the hill back into Oregon City...I'm thinking WOW what a day.

By the way, I always sleep well at night.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Site Admin

Default My commute is as long as my work day (almost)

I leave my house in SE Portland at 5:30 AM to ride 10 miles (up hill!) to the Barbur Transit Station, where I catch a bus to Salem; I get back to the Barbur TC from Salem at about 6:05 PM, and am home by 7:00 PM - fortunately it's all downhill on the way home
Old 10-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Good Question...

I try to hit the road by 7:30am heading for work, but can hit the road as late as 7:50am and get to work on time...

On the return, it's anybody's guess as I'm tied to a phone and I can get stuck on a "long call". Typically I get off at 5:30pm, but once I didn't get out until 7:30pm (I was supposed to leave at 6pm that night).

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Old 10-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Site Admin

Default 6:30am

I typically leave home at 6:30am (sometimes earlier, sometimes a little later). I ride 1.5 miles to downtown Portland , where I catch the #164 to Vancouver, then 2.5 miles to work. Typically get to work at 7:15am. Since it's all downhill / flat, I just ride to work in work clothes.

On the way home, I typically leave at 4:15, and ride all the way - 21 miles & 1000 ft elevation gain. I have 55 stopping opportunities (stop signs & lights) on my regular route, so there is no such thing as a fast ride home. I'd typically get home around 5:45 - 6:00pm.

This bike commuting business doesn't leave a lot of time in the evening. On the other hand, a warm bath after a cold wet winter commute certainly feels good! That's when you know you're alive!
Old 10-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Site Admin

I try to leave my house at around 7:15-7:20... but lately, I haven't been closing the garage door until 7:30!

It's a 5-6 mile commute, and if I don't stop for coffee I roll into the parking lot just about at 8am. Shower, get dressed, ready for work by 8:30, unless I stand around a bit and chat. Since most everyone important roll in after 9am, and I have a mostly flexible schedule, I'm not exactly all stressed at what time I get to work.

Leave the office about 5:30 or so, home at 6 or so. It seems to take me a half-hour no matter what!

On those rare mornings I actually get out the door at my target of 7:15, it actually takes me about 23 minutes to get to work. Sweet.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Site Admin

i've had a pretty good routine of getting up at 6:40 and leaving the house at 7:00. The ride is 20-25 minutes depending mainly on lights. That leaves me enough time to get into work, get showered/dressed, and grab some caffeine before being at my desk or in meetings at 8:00.
Although with the mornings getting darker & wetter, I need to get up a little earlier for it to all work out - both because of riding slower in the rain, and because it takes extra time to take off & hang up all the extra layers/gear.
(I don't have to go into the office for the next 3 weeks, but will have to make my adjustment then)