Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2008, 08:34 AM
Site Admin

Question Portland bike safety issues & solutions

Hey all,

I am taking PDOT's traffic and transportation course at PSU and part of the class is to find an area within portland that needs improvement or change in relation to transportation (I have decided to gear my project toward improving bike safety, but I haven't landed on a specific project yet.)

A few of the projects presented to the class will be taken to city hall and pitched to the city as legitimate proposals.

My favor to ask all of you then is to tell me what you consider to be the least safe area/intersection/street/path/etc... in Portland, why you think it is so unsafe (any additional information would be helpful) and, if you have any ideas, what you would do to improve it. This could be anything from adding speed bumps to a neighborhood street to building sky bridges for skateboarders to get them off the sidewalks.

I will consider anything you can come up with, and who knows, I might actually be able to help make that change happen!

Thanks all!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb I can't say it's the least safe intersection

I can't say it's the least safe intersection, but it's not the best...

Where Downtown bound cyclists have to cross the traffic heading for Nato Parkway on Barbur blvd.

Sure there's a place for cyclists to pull over and stop, then wait for traffic to allow them to go thru. But who really does that, we all merge with traffic, then cut accross two lanes of traffic, and stay on Barbur.

However, if Downtown bound cyclists to were to seperate from the Nato bound while they are on the same plane as Barbur, you could build a flyover for them where the Nato bound traffic dips down below Barbur.

I don't have any images of the area, so I might have to go out and take some pics, but not tonight.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Old 10-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Site Admin

You could get a lot of insight into this just by browsing through the bikeportland archives. On the home page, there's a little box that says "Google Bike Portland." Just enter a few keywords like "dangerous intersections" & you'll get lots of good info.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Site Admin

Default Omsi

Here's a little different angle.
I had just come off the Springwater toward town and was on the water side path in front of OMSI. A string of bikes in both directions at full spectrum of skill levels, OMSI pedestrians and must have been 50 marathon training runners. What a cluster- F***. Little 5 yo girl walking with her back to me twirled into an innocent spin and I almost ran her down even though I'd slowed to like 5 mph.
Maybe bikes should be diverted to the connecting road behind OMSI and turn back to the path under the Hawthorne.
Until the rains return and the amateurs and pedestrians clear off that stretch in front of OMSI I'm going around.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Site Admin

Default My pitch

The area in Gateway on Stark St. in SE.

There's a school, community center, library, parks, churches, you name it all within blocks of each other. An influx of high density housing has created a densely populated area with tons of kids.

Unfortunately the bike lane ends at about SE 108th where the last crosswalk until 112th is located.

At 35 mph the area is an expressway, several kids have already been struck in the marked, flashing yellow, crosswalk.

This area needs to be slowed down and traffic controls and pedestrian/bike crossings added.

Oh yeah, and there's a ton of room to widen sidewalks, install utilities... it's like someone thought to do this at one time, but just never got around to it.

Thanks - that's my pitch! I've also sent it to BTA - Safe Routes to Schools - but haven't made much progress.

Tags
change, improvement, pdot, psu, safety