Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2008, 08:21 AM
Site Admin

Default Thanks for chastising me then looking like an a-hole...

Me: Passing a Widmer truck on the left as it appeared to be stopping to unload for that local market. Then realizing it wasn't as the truck driver angrily started moving again then blocked me out into oncoming traffic lane. My mistake wasn't passing on the left it was thinking he was stopped for longer than a second.

You: A-hole ho chastised me, "nice job making that truck driver angry," then continued to taunt me. "Of course I'm happy, I taught you a lesson." I was frustrated with your self-righteousness, which quickly faded into entertainment as I saw you turn the wrong way down a one-way about 5 minutes later.

Way to uphold the law and stay above it yourself.
a-hole.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Site Admin

Default How to Make This a Constructive Experience?

Traffic safety analysts say the problem with traffic is that there are just so *many* different ways to turn into a pancake. It's not that we don't learn from our experiences, but that we encounter so many surprising variations.

This is why safety education is so important, so that roadway users can find out about some of these situations without going through the School of Hard Knocks.

In that vein, what will you do differently now? Did you miss his turn signal or his brake lights? What if you had watched his front wheel as you went by? Is there anything you wish you could have done differently?

--jason "really don't want to pay for someone else's mistakes" p.

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Site Admin

To be honest, probably nothing.

He had no turn signal on. And with the way those beer trucks park it and unload wherever they want I really don't know if I could have expected that.

As for safety preparedness. I agree if I were to have made a traffic mistake. However, passing on the left is what you do to parked cars and trucks.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Site Admin

Default Safety note.

Just a little side note.

I make it a rule to not pass trucks, even "Brown," (UPS) without making eye contact with the driver, and if it's not possible, i find another way around. If i can't get around i will stop and wait. It's important that get to my destination without the use of a stretcher. Delivery drivers of all types are always in a rush. That blind spot is mighty big when they are rushing to make deliveries on time.