Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Site Admin

Default Westside Commuter info

NOTE: See below for commuting options for the Sunset Bike Path

I ride daily up and over Sylvan hill and down to Portland. I see the same 4-5 people in the winter and maybe 10 or so in the summer.

Has anyone seen any stats on how much the new Sunset Highway bike trail is being used by cyclists? Especially for commuting. I would like to see it being used more so that there will be more of an effort to improve the artaries and to also continue the path past the zoo.

I must say that sometimes I feel left-out of all the fun you east-siders get while commuting. Don't get me wrong, I kind-of like the place all to myself on a rainy morning. And looking over the city at Washington Park on a clear morning with fog over the city is priceless. I just want some donuts. :P

Any info out there would be grand. Love the blog!

~n
Old 02-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Site Admin

Default Yeah, the view is nice

I know what you mean... I loved the sight of Portland through the trees as I zoomed down Kingston from the Zoo. It's so nice and quiet (other than me trying to regain blood O2 saturation from climbing up Sylvan Hill) to zip along. I think I only saw one other person when I was commuting up and over that way (about two years ago). I finally had to give up that route and take Multnomah/Barber because of the hill, but it wasn't as invigorating.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Site Admin

Default What route to Sylvan?

What route do you take to get to Sylvan? I'll soon be commuting from downtown to the Westside. I live a bit too far North I think to really take advantage of the Sylvan bike trail, but on the way home I might use it.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Site Admin

Default Re: What route to Sylvan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budro
What route do you take to get to Sylvan? I'll soon be commuting from downtown to the Westside. I live a bit too far North I think to really take advantage of the Sylvan bike trail, but on the way home I might use it.
Here ya go!

NOTE: This ride will take 20-25 min from the base of jefferson to the top of sylvan. If you are trying to save time, you can hop on the max at Goose Hollow and ride to the zoo or Sunset TC. Many do on there way westbound to save some time.

From Downtown ride up Jefferson and pass the Goose Hollow MAX stop, like you are going to continue onto the Sunset Highway. Keep going. . . I know you might think you're going to go on the freeway. You'll pass the BMW place then see a bike lane start-up. Keep going until the road takes a strong left (past the "suicide bridge"). You'll see a path to on your left (a continuation of the sidewalk). Take that, and you will start to go up into Washington Park.

Just keep going up the "chained-off" section of roadway. This old road used to go down to Jefferson, but now is only open to bikes and people. Keep going up. . .up. . . and more up . . . Take notice of the mountain bike pathis on the hill. In the summer you'll see those "crazy" freestyle bikers making jumps here (ahhh to be 17 again). Eventually you'll get to the round-a-bout at the top of vista rd. Keep going around and continue on the road up to the rose garden on Kingston.

Now comes the toughest hill of the day. Cross the road and continue up Kingston (BIG HILL not too long tho). Now enjoy the ride up to the zoo. There is one long streach of uphill after the BIG one. I think it is a great "keep-in-shaper".

Once you get near the zoo (you'll hear the animals early in the morning) you have two choices going west-bound. At the fork you can take a right and continue up the hill. This gives a few more uphill climbing (I like doing hills :) ). When you reach the top of kingston, take a left onto Fairview. Keep going till you reach Skyline. YOU DID IT! You're at the highest commute path in all of Portland! To finish take a left onto Skyline (downhill) and zoom downhill to Sylvan. Just before the freeway onramp to the west, you'll see the Sunset bike path.

The second, and quicker way: take a left at the fork through the zoo parking lot and onto canyon ct which is the right just before the highway overpass. Continue up canyon til you see a sidewalk-bikepath on your left (at the stop sign). That is the beginning of the sunset bike trail. It will take you to the top of sylvan, and on to Beavertron.

I have included two maps. The first is from Jefferson 1/2-way to the zoo. The next is how to negotiate up to sylvan.

First takes you from jefferson through washington park
http://www.arlo-web.com/images/fun/Westside1.jpg

Second takes you from Washington park to the top of sylvan
http://www.arlo-web.com/images/fun/Westside2.jpg

You'll notice my notes on taking the sunset highway sholder on the DOWNHILL ONLY (east-bound). I only do this when it is clear weather and I'm late for work.

When you get to the bottom of the bike path you'll be near Cedar Hills. From here you can continue onto beaverton through neighborhood streets.

Many people ask where the path starts in Cedar Hills. Well, the following map will conclude my post and show you where the Sunset Bike Path lets out.
http://www.arlo-web.com/images/fun/Westside3.jpg

Finally the entire ride in 3-D!
http://www.arlo-web.com/images/fun/Westside3-d.jpg

Enjoy! I hope to see a few of you take advantage of this great ride!

~n
Old 02-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Site Admin

Default re: Here Ya Go!

Thanks! These are great diagrams. It'd be nice if they could be put on the Portland Transportation website. In fact, having a place people could go to to add such maps might be valuable in attaining Platinum status.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:19 AM
The Management
Site Admin

nborders, those are awesome maps...care to share a quick rundown of how you made them? I assume you're just taking screenshots from Google Earth and adding your own graphics?

It'd be great to know so we can encouraged others to create their maps of favorite routes and commutes.

I would love to host a database of routes. The gmap-pedometer is one way to do it, but I love the 3-d effect of Google Earth.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Site Admin

Thanks nborders! This is sweet...can't wait to try it out! Your effort is much appreciated.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:50 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Maus
nborders, those are awesome maps...care to share a quick rundown of how you made them? I assume you're just taking screenshots from Google Earth and adding your own graphics?

It'd be great to know so we can encouraged others to create their maps of favorite routes and commutes.

I would love to host a database of routes. The gmap-pedometer is one way to do it, but I love the 3-d effect of Google Earth.
It was easy enough. I just framed the area I wanted to show in Google earth, then took a screenshot. I pasted the screenshot in Photoshop, then drew the lines of the route with the pencil tool.

Saved, then posted on my website for all to see.

I'm glad you enjoyed them, and if any of you need to use them, you have my permission. I just want more people using this route, so we can finish the bike path all the way to downtown.

~n
Old 03-17-2006, 10:57 AM
The Management
Site Admin

Thanks nborders. I apppreciate that info. If you make any more of them let us know.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:40 AM
Site Admin

Default Sunset Hwy Eastbound

Thanks for the great maps and route tips nborders. Is it possible to ride the shoulder of Sunset Highway from Jefferson St. on ramp to Zoo exit directly? Is it legal? Thanks in advance.