Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2008, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Question How old were you when... You got your first bike?

I'm curious, and I can't even answer this question myself (yet), but how old were you when you got your first bike? (not trike or big wheel)

Did your parents realize what they started when they got you your very own two wheeler? I'm sure that mine didn't.

I'm going to have to call my folks and ask about my story...

Do Tell
Better Still, post pics of you with your first set of wheels...

K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 10-06-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Site Admin

6 years old. The perfect age. It wasn't a new shiny one,but a rebuilt one my fireman uncle got, leftover from their annual christmas project. Which was fine. I rode the wheels right off that one. Replaced it,as I recall with a Schwinn Lime Krate Stingray..
Old 09-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Site Admin

Default sweet Raleigh folder

I got my first real bike when I was around 7, circa 1970. It was a Raleigh 3-speed folder, orange with chrome fenders... a bike most Portland hipsters would sell their mother for.

First time I rode it down the block on my own I realized I didn't know how to stop (those hand-brakes are tricky!), so when I got to the end of the block I aimed for a bush and stopped that way. Nearly two decades later as a mountain biker I rediscovered this "technique" when my front brake shoes dove under my rim on a steep descent (one thin cheer for the early canti brakes...). Thank god for that large, well-placed scrub oak (ouch). I believe skiers call this method of stopping the "sitzmark".

No, my parents had no idea what they were starting with that first bike.

Good times, good times...
Old 09-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking I was two...

I asked my Mom about my 1st bike, and I was told that my first bike was a miniature green schwinn that I received on my 2nd Birthday (in Florida). It had training wheels, weighed a lot, was well used by me, and was eventually given to my sister while we lived in Hawaii. Being made from steel it rusted in the salty climate.

Me on my first set of wheels, Hauula, Oahu, Hawaii '72

A few notes on the picture:
I know I don't have a helmet on. C'mon, get real, it was '72,
My bike didn't have lights, and didn't glow in the dark.
BTW, My Grandfather made the rocking horse, and I think that it's still in the family.

When asked, my Mom admitted that she had no idea what was started when I received that bike.

Don't forget to post pics of you with your 1st ride!

Rubberside Down! (memory lane)
K'Tesh

(I found the image in a photo album, took a picture of it with my digital camera, then cropped it, and uploaded it.)

Last edited by K'Tesh; 09-30-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Site Admin

Mine was at age 6 (pretty sure). It was a 26" wheeled cruiser stlye - not that I knew the difference between types of bikes then; all I knew was that it had what I really wanted in a bike: a really cool, fast looking chain guard. If I sat on the top tube, I could barely reach the pedals, much less the ground. My first (and only) lesson happened immediately after we got home with it. My father set me on the bike, and gave me a big shove across the lawn. Thus, the first lesson was also mone of the most important: how to fall down. Totally hooked from then on. My standard dismount involved coming to a complete stop (usually), and leaping straight up off the bike, to land next to it, frequently on my feet. In the years that followed, my knees had almost permantent scabs, and that bike took me everywhere in our small town, which must have given my parents some idea.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Site Admin

Default 6 Years: Big Red

All my bikes seem to have some kind of "large" qualifier...

It must have started with "Big Red" at age 6 years.

Not even sure what type she was... a store bought probably... red frame, chrome handlebars in the "Swan" style. Fenders!

...and a big black banana seat. Heaven.

Big Red was replaced with a BMX style cruiser 3 years later after a lot of abuse.

Wish I'd kept all my old bikes - even the weird, cheap Japanese 10-speed at age 15 that started my speed obsession.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Site Admin

Default A Snowy Christmas in 1967

I guess I was 5 when I got my first bike. But I could only ride it on the main road (we lived in the counrty with a lot of gravel roads) between the snow ruts. It had a banana seat with a sissy bar. Boy I was cool.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Site Admin

I was 8 when I got my first new bike.
Before that it was my sister's hand me downs.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Site Admin

Default About 8 or 9 I think

I learned to ride on a hand-me-down single speed with coaster brake. But one Christmas, Santa brought me and my two brothers shiny, red Raleigh 3-speeds. Back in the 60's, I believe they were made in England. Had fenders, baskets on the back for carrying stuff, hand brakes, but no lights. Way cool for Eugene.

I think it was because my Mom was tired of driving us to school. I went to a Catholic grade school, no buses. We rode our bikes about 2.5 miles each way, in our little slickers if it was raining.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Site Admin

I remember getting my first bike when I was five. I can't remember what kind it was—it was just the usual from Toys-R-Us. However, I can remember supporting alternative forms of transportation back then. One of the first things I remember doing to it was plastering it with C-Tran (Vancouver's bus service) stickers. I guess things haven't changed much.