Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Red face I feel naked...

Am I the only one who when leaving home/work/anywhere... feels naked when not wearing a helmet?

Vincentpaul posted about the guilty pleasure it was to not ride with a lid (by accident). Even when I'm walking or a passenger in a vehicle, I always have that moment of confusion when realize that I don't have it on or in my hands. That's compounded when my Swiss Army Knife/Cell phone/fanny pack/backpack is missing. I'm not fully dressed...

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 09-24-2008 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Site Admin

Wink I've got you beat...

I occasionally get a little twinge of dismay when I look in the corner of my vision and my glasses mirror isn't there.

--jason 'can't everyone look behind them while they're walking?" p.

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 09-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Site Admin

Default It takes over...

Maybe it's because I have kids or something, but yeah I do...now.

After years of riding - commuting and recreational (mostly the latter until I rediscovered Jesus) I never wore a helmet.

Then when my wife found out I had cancelled my bus pass and was now going to ride year round...

Christmas 2006. It was like an intervention. Seriously. My parents were there, my wife, the kids.

Mom: Now son, I know you think you're indestructable, but... and don't take this the wrong way...
Me: Mah... I don't think I'm indestructable, what's going on!?!?
Wife: Hon, we worry about you...

So of course, as you all know from experience, buying a helmet is a personal thing. You gotta try it on. I think bike shop guy was having some fun with my wife cuz out of the box comes this GIANT Gyro. This is the biggest effen helmet I have ever seen... Anyone have some ice? Let's fill'er up.

Me: Oh wow. Great.
Mom and Wife: You have to wear it!

Dad? He's choking back the tears... of laughter. He never did bail me out in these situations and he's not about to start.

So I wore it... I wore the hell out of it. I wore it until it stank so bad it wasn't allowed in the house...

And yeah I bought another one after that - one that fits... sigh... I'm hooked and I can't even imagine not wearing it. But sometimes...

No! Can't think that way. All it takes is one ride without a helmet and I'm right back where I was - addicted to freedom!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Wink Happened tonight...

Actually, I was going to go riding, but I realized after closing and locking the door that I had left my gloves inside... No, wait, that was in the drier, I was washing them... I had to track down another set (I have 3 matching sets).

Still, if that was the worst that happened to me all day, not a bad thing...

BTW, this was my 1000th post I'm glad that it was not in the "Close Calls" or on "The Watch List..."

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh
Old 09-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
Am I the only one who when leaving home/work/anywhere... feels naked when not wearing a helmet?
No, the bike naked gal that was mentioned in the Oregonian the other day felt naked when she wasn't wearing a helmet too. Of course, she was naked, so there's nothing abnormal about that.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Site Admin

Every time I forget my gloves, my hands certainly feel naked. They have the tan lines to show it, too. I also can't remember the last time I rode without a cycling hat on. And then there was the one time that I nearly missed the bus because I had ridden a couple of blocks before realizing that I didn't have my helmet on (this was in Vancouver, where helmets are unfortunately required).

If it weren't for all of those Vancouverites in their SOV SUVs, I wouldn't have a problem without my helmet.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Site Admin

H-m-mmm. Well, it's interesting to note the way 'naked' was used in the initial example of this thread as being a possibly bad thing, but when it comes to our fabulous new Portland resident, naked from that person's perspective ain't a bad thing at all.

Something feels wrong when I'm riding without the helmet. I'm sure I could get used to not wearing it again, but besides the obvious, I've come to appreciate the side benefits it offers: thickness of the foam over my eyebrows provides just enough protection for my eyes from the sun and glare, foam keeps the head warm in winter, cool in summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentpaul View Post
No, the bike naked gal that was mentioned in the Oregonian the other day felt naked when she wasn't wearing a helmet too. Of course, she was naked, so there's nothing abnormal about that.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Site Admin

DEFINITELY feeling naked without my rear-view mirror at the moment. It fell off somewhere around the office building on my first commute here*, and between not being able to see behind me, and riding on the other side of the road...

That said, I hit the timing sweet spot today - lots of children riding their bikes to school at the same time. And no buses. I've got to tell you all, TriMet gives us LOTS of room when passing. Trust me.

(*here - Histon, UK, just outside of Cambridge. The sun is currently shining, too)
Old 09-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Site Admin

Default Is This Allowed?

Hey! Since when was Histon, UK inside of the city of Portland? Don't you know this web site is only about Portland?

--jason "Portland's a great place to visit but..." p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
(*here - Histon, UK, just outside of Cambridge. The sun is currently shining, too)

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Site Admin

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by djasonpenney View Post
I occasionally get a little twinge of dismay when I look in the corner of my vision and my glasses mirror isn't there.
I second that. Sometimes after a long ride I look up there while walking and forget that I'm not on the bike anymore.