Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Tips & Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Replacing Dangerous Drain Grates 101

When it comes to getting dangerous storm drain grates replaced on Portland ROW, I've been having luck calling (503) 823 1700, which is the 24hr Street Maintenance line, I've saved the number on my cellphone. I also have been known to use (503) 823 SAFE ([503] 823 7233), but they will transfer you to the maintenance line for storm drains.

Note the intersection, orientation, and direction you were going...

Here's an example of a successful complaint...

Quote:
Last night around 11 p.m.,I was riding my bike on NW 16th Ave. heading Southbound, when I came to the Northwest corner of W. Burnside St.. As I was turning Right (Westbound) I had to swerve to avoid a storm drain there. When I stopped and went back to look at it, I realized that had my wheel gone down it, I could have been pitched off my bike into Westbound traffic.
This is really how I discovered that drain (was at the September '08 1st Thursday in the Pearl), I called it in on friday afternoon, and when I came back on Saturday to take pictures, the drain had been replaced (as had the one a block away on NW 17th Ave).

I've found that where I find one drain that can eat a bike, I'll find 4 more nearby, perhaps even more.

Private property (such as stores/apartment complexes are a different story).

Keep up the Great Grate Work!
K'Tesh

I reposted this from the What Did You Do Today??? thread for easier searching...

Last edited by K'Tesh; 09-17-2008 at 03:43 PM.