Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Site Admin

For those of you who are interested, the Clark County bike map is downloadable here (Warning: 6.9 MB pdf link)

That should help you plan any route north of Salmon Creek. As for my suggestion, I would recommend taking what was the old Pacific Highway before the freeway portion of US 99 was built, which is now I-5. From Salmon Creek, take 20th Ave until it turns into Union Road. it used to continue right next to I-5 right up to 10th Ave, but now it turns into 15th, and you're left with a quarter mile to ride on 179th. Heading southbound, it's pretty easy to just ride from the recently dead-ended Union road to the main road, but the reverse is likely much harder.

Continue up 10th till you either get on I-5 at the Ridgefield exit, or else you can just continue straight onto Timmen Road which will take you more or less into La Center. I wouldn't advise taking the La Center exit onto I-5, as there is a descent grade on the connecting road in either direction. If you take La Center Road to the right, it will turn into NW Pacific Hwy, which can be taken all the way into Woodland.

I've ridden all of the way down from Longview via the old Pacific Highway, so I am decently familiar with it.

Back to Highway 99 in Hazel Dell, one problem I have is that the bike lane will disappear at most major intersections, forcing you to merge into a lane with quickly moving traffic. I recently spoke with the City of Vancouver about having an "except bikes" tab added to the "right turn only" signs at the intersection of Mill Plain and Andresen and they were able to put in a work order for it. Hopefully I can get in touch with the county about this problem on Highway 99.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Site Admin

Default Ridgefield

Hey all, I need to get to Ridgefield tommorow morning. Any thoughts on a good route for that? I've never ridden over the I-5 bridge or in Vancouver so other then the comments above I don't have a clue.

Using the Clark county bike map (thanks JR) I'm thinking I'd go over I-5, and take Columbia to 45th to Hazell Dell RD, looks like I can go from there to the Salmon Creek Trail to NW 36th AVE, then onto NW 41st via Seward RD. From there to 209th, left onto 31st AVE which changes to Hillhurst RD and goes the rest of the way to Ridgefield.

The map makes it look fairly straight forward but maps often do...any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:25 PM
Site Admin

I got nicked by a fertilizer truck on 41st once, so that road gives me the willies. It's a pretty narrow shoulder up in that orange zone.

I'd rather roll up 10th Ave or just take the I-5 after the I-205 merge.