Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2008, 02:01 AM
Site Admin

Default Winter is coming- snow levels

I climbed into a cloud this weekend. It looks like they keep getting lower over the west hills. Rain can't be far behind (check out the forecast for the latter half of this week). I wont melt in the rain, but I am worried about the winter coming up.

Since I'm giving up the MAX, I'm going over the west hills, likely taking the Zoo or Hellway in the morning and Broadway in the evening. Sylvan is about 750 ft. Patton is over 850 feet feet. Burnside is a "carry chains" snowzone and eventually reaches 1000 ft.

How often will it be that I actually hit snow or ice? Most of the time last winter, I remember the snow zone being around 1000 ft. I have an 8am class to get to, so I'll be out at the coldest times of the morning.

Are studded tires recommended?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:23 AM
Site Admin

It's hard to say, winter's are often kinda variable for us - the price we pay for being mild enough to hover around the freezing mark.

Some winters we hardly get anything, and the hills get dustings that are usually gone during the day (which doesn't help you for an 8am class).

Other winters are foul with deep snow and/or frequent freezing rain.

If it turns out to be an icy one, studded tires are definitely recommended.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:43 AM
Site Admin

Snow isn't the problem - ice is. Don't ride over the West Hills if it's icy. I find that ice only prevents me commuting about five times per year, 10 in 2005 when we had that really bad storm.

Mind you, there have been a few times when I've ridden, and shouldn't have. I've gone down Broadway on my back before now.

So, if ice is forecast, take the MAX.

Snow is fun to ride in if it's not sticking to the road.