Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Site Admin

Default Taking the Lane again...

Here at Tektronix, the cyclists occasionally get together on a Friday, ride somewhere not too far away for lunch, eat, then ride back. During the Bike Commute Challenge, we do it every Friday.

If we can't find a suitable place far enough away, we'll get there by an interesting route We try to keep it within 3 miles, just so we'll have time to enjoy our lunch as well.

Today was my day to lead, and I picked Lamthong in old downtown Beaverton. We had 10 riders show up.

What was interesting is that most of the riders, several of them with many years of riding, hugged the right side of the road, even where it was clearly too narrow to share (Millikan Way through the Round).

I guess I'm a more assertive rider than I thought...

Aside: we also had an off-road portion - the dirt trail behind the apartments between the dead end of Millikan and Lombard. Plus a field trip to the toy store (Bike Gallery) on the way back.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Site Admin

If the road doesn't have a "BIKE LANE" prominently printed on the road, that means "BIKES ON ROADWAY"... and that's where you'll find me.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Site Admin

I've noticed drivers be much less aggressive to me when I get over to the right more. When riding on a road that has segments of parked cars, I've heard it's safer to pick a position and keep it, regardless of whether you're next to a parked car or not. But drivers tend to give me less distance when I do that, and to be more patient in waiting for me when I move over to the right during gaps in parked cars. I would like to take the lane more, but I'm being conditioned (pretty persuasively) not to.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:41 AM
Site Admin

That section has a TON of parallel parked cars AND a parking garage pull out. There is no room for "more right..."

I usually ride dead center all the way between Rose Biggi and the "off road" portion, sometimes all the way back to Cedar Hills if traffic is light since the bike lane ends. Westbound, I almost take the yellow line to avoid the garage traffic.

I'm still pissed off about that stop sign on Milikan for Rose Biggi, which basically serves a shopping center. Since when do glorified driveways have right of way over a through street?
Old 09-13-2008, 01:57 AM
Site Admin

Default How do you define "less distance"?

I find just the opposite is true. If I give cars room to squeeze past me in the lane, they will tend to pass me with inches to spare. If I take the lane, they are much more likely to pass only when it's safe.

This is not to say that if there's a wide lane I don't get over so that faster traffic can pass--that's what "share the road" is about.

So, I'm curious. What do you mean by "less distance"? Are you talking about how far they are behind you? Cyclists being struck from behind by a motor vehicle account for less than three percent of all bicycle-motorist collisions. Being doored by a parked car or being struck by a motor vehicle that misjudges its distance when passing you are more likely occurrences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinpaperwings View Post
I've noticed drivers be much less aggressive to me when I get over to the right more. When riding on a road that has segments of parked cars, I've heard it's safer to pick a position and keep it, regardless of whether you're next to a parked car or not. But drivers tend to give me less distance when I do that, and to be more patient in waiting for me when I move over to the right during gaps in parked cars. I would like to take the lane more, but I'm being conditioned (pretty persuasively) not to.

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 09-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Site Admin

I ride in the middle of the lane on Fonner Rd all the way up the hill to the wide spot just below it gets steeper; ride in the wide spot until it goes away, then back in the lane, then out of the way after the summit; then back in the lane around the 90-degree 15-mph left.

I also ride in the middle of the lane down the middle part of McDonald St where the bike lane goes away and then turns into a parking lane for the houses squeezed onto the side of the hill above the ravine.

I also ride in the middle of the lane on Tiedeman from Greenburg to the 4-way stop, and the other direction from where the lane narrows to the 4-way stop.

All these roads are narrow, no bike lane, no shoulder... I'll get over when it's wide enough, in MY estimation, for cars to pass safely, and generally, I haven't had too much of a problem... except on Fonner, where it's double-yellow all the way and people are impatient with 9-17mph (yes, I can get up to the posted speed limit around the hard left, which has surprised a lot of people).

I am also surprised at the number of what I think are experienced riders who hug the right side of the road, no matter what.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by djasonpenney View Post
I find just the opposite is true. If I give cars room to squeeze past me in the lane, they will tend to pass me with inches to spare. If I take the lane, they are much more likely to pass only when it's safe.

This is not to say that if there's a wide lane I don't get over so that faster traffic can pass--that's what "share the road" is about.
I've noticed this too. I try to be nice and stay to the right, the cars squeeze by w/o even touching the centerline. I ride in the right tire rut, all of the sudden they give me loads of room.

Veering OT here, but I've also noticed that when there are a cluster of cars, the way first one passes me tends to set the tone for the rest: if he squeezes by, the rest have tendency to do so, if he swings wide, the remainder usually do too.

I try to watch my rearview mirror and if someone coming up behind looks like they aren't going to pass with enough room, I start drifting out to make sure that they have to swing wide to pass. I take Stafford Rd which is pretty narrow.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Site Admin

Default Driver training

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenl666 View Post

Veering OT here, but I've also noticed that when there are a cluster of cars, the way first one passes me tends to set the tone for the rest: if he squeezes by, the rest have tendency to do so, if he swings wide, the remainder usually do too.

I've noticed that too and I try to use it to my advantage. If I'm going uphill and there's an especially scary blind corner, I discourage the first driver behind me (if there are any) from passing by purposefully wobbling a little bit as if I were really tired (okay, sometimes i am really tired...). A little wobble of an inch or two usually translates into an extra foot or two of space when they pass (which they will now delay until there's more room), and anyone behind them dutifully does the same. I always try to give a friendly wave and/or smile when someone passes me courteously.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:50 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
That section has a TON of parallel parked cars AND a parking garage pull out. There is no room for "more right..."

I usually ride dead center all the way between Rose Biggi and the "off road" portion, sometimes all the way back to Cedar Hills if traffic is light since the bike lane ends. Westbound, I almost take the yellow line to avoid the garage traffic.

I'm still pissed off about that stop sign on Milikan for Rose Biggi, which basically serves a shopping center. Since when do glorified driveways have right of way over a through street?
Amen to that. That area's a little too tight at times.

I also tend to take the lane on Milikan from where it leaves TV to where it crosses Murray (and the bike lane magically appears). It pisses me off when people pass too close on that section, especially since it is a two-lane each way road.

Tom
Old 09-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlf View Post
I've noticed that too and I try to use it to my advantage. If I'm going uphill and there's an especially scary blind corner, I discourage the first driver behind me (if there are any) from passing by purposefully wobbling a little bit as if I were really tired (okay, sometimes i am really tired...). A little wobble of an inch or two usually translates into an extra foot or two of space when they pass (which they will now delay until there's more room), and anyone behind them dutifully does the same. I always try to give a friendly wave and/or smile when someone passes me courteously.
Haha! I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this!

The Fonner hill always seems to sap my strength, so the wobble-thing is, most of the time, because I'm tired. Hey, it was a long day at the office.

And yeah, the first car always seems to set the tone for the cars behind them... what a bunch of sheep. Ok, that wasn't very nice, but you know what I mean.