Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Wink How fast is too FAST???

I rode a lot this weekend... and I'm not kidding... 90 miles (weekend in my logbook is concidered 5:30 p.m. Friday to 8:30 a.m. Monday). I don't know how I pulled it off (or where exactly), but at sometime yesterday according to my bike computer, I hit 70.0 Mph... WOW!!!

90 miles for the weekend/ Max speed 70 Mph.

I've got a Cateye Mity 8, set to 217 (my wheelsize is 700C x 35). I've shown the computer to some co-workers, and I've taken pictures of it...

My previous record was 65.5 Mph going down Park St. in Ashland (can you say steep?) and tied that one on Hwy 66, exiting KFalls for Keno (on my way into Ashland one August morning in '93) on a nice little streach of straightaway and a bit of a tailwind. Legally passed (on the left side) a car that paced me for a little while then pulled over to confirm my computer.. Well, maybe not legally passed... it was posted 55MPH.

So, how fast have you gone?

Rubberside (hopefully stays) Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 09-08-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Site Admin

I ve gone 120MPH according to my computer.
It also says that I rode 313 miles in less than 8 hours.

I do not contest the accuracy of the computer of course.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Site Admin

51mph (as paced by a car) down Mt Constitution on Orcas Island. I'm also pretty sure I came close or exceeded that going down the Haleakela volcano on Maui, but I didn't have any way to measure. And that's way too fast (for me). I'll never go that fast again, as I am not comfortable with the level of risk.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Site Admin

I've got a reasonable (sustained) reading of 41mph. HWY 26 from the zoo to Jefferson.

Sometimes certain conditions seem to cause my maximum speed to double, so I'm not counting the times its said 60 and I was pedaling on flat ground.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Site Admin

42mph, down the steep side of the Gaarde hill.

My boyfriend's bike computer (wireless) recorded 212 mph when we did the first Portland Century... but since he was pacing me, and I was only going 30mph, I think it was wrong. Turns out that riding past WiFi hotspots in coffee shops can give you a false reading.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Default tied to the cord still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven_kd7yct View Post
42mph, down the steep side of the Gaarde hill.

My boyfriend's bike computer (wireless) recorded 212 mph when we did the first Portland Century... but since he was pacing me, and I was only going 30mph, I think it was wrong. Turns out that riding past WiFi hotspots in coffee shops can give you a false reading.
I'm not using a wireless computer.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Site Admin

Default Giving her all she's got!

Try as I might... I can't make my commuter ride get past 33 mph - even downhill. Converted MTB so not surprised. It's hilarious... I'm spinning like crazy, cranked in the highest gear... and I'm stuck on 33. Guess I'll have to start carrying more weight.

Bike computer with settings verified by school zone radar is the way to go!

Top speed on any bike: 51 mph confirmed down Ellsworth hill (I think that's the name) in Vancouver, WA.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Site Admin

Default Can you say aero?

53 mph going down Bald Peak. Had to tuck in in order to get the last 2 mph.

Whenever I'm going faster than 30 mph, suffice it to say I'm not enjoying the scenery any more, just focused on the ride....

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 09-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Site Admin

I've clocked 65 and 99.5 mph on one of my computers. Its wireless, so there you go. I understand they can be affected by other wireless bike computers nearby. I'd imagine they are affected by other radio transmissions, too.

On 'wired' computers, I wonder if you happened to stop such that your magnet and sensor were next to each other, could it read some crazy speed briefly? I'll have to test that theory out...

On our tandem we actually reached 52 mph on a downhill, with no effort. I've reached 47 mph on my road bike on Tour de Blast.

Steve
Old 09-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Site Admin

Default 48 mph...

...Down Gibson Rd. from Eagle Crest Rd. to Brush College Rd. in West Salem. Haven't had a computer for the last 8 or so years, so I don't know if I've ever beaten it (I know I was going 21 this morning according to police radar van...). I can't really imagine going much faster than 50, let alone 60 or 70?!

Tags
speed