Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Angry Nearly Right Hooked, WB on Broadway Bridge...

I've never headed WB on the Broadway Bridge, and after tonight I think I'll do what I can to avoid that bridge's crossing.

I was heading for home after exploring Portland, and found myself on the Broadway Bridge. It was dark, and I didn't understand the signs/lights or striping on that really F**KED up West end. I don't know if I tried to blow the light or the person in the car on my left was in the wrong, but I nearly found myself colliding with the car.

Turn right or risk DEATH!

What's those signs say? How can I see them when it's dark? My headlights don't point up that high...

The driver stopped, and stayed put until I was clear, but I went back and took pictures... Being taken after dark, they suck. The driver didn't honk, didn't yell, and I feel that they were as startled and confused as I was. I have no clue as to who was at fault here.

I'd encourage someone setup a video camera on that intersection and record it, I can't be the only one who has a problem there. One thing that could have helped was having the bike signal sign lit and/or flashing. I didn't see it until I went back to examine the layout.

PDOT needs to re-examine what is going on here, cause it's really F**KED UP!

IF I ever find myself there again, I'll take the lane, it HAS to be safer...

Be Careful Out There!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 11-12-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Site Admin

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. To help clarify some of the design issues as someone who regularly drives and bikes WB on that bridge:

1. The striping on the ramp denotes that there are two bike lanes coming off this bridge WB: i) NW Broadway and ii) NW Lovejoy. I found the striping to be very helpful in my morning commute as it orients people to line up single file if they want to take NW Broadway and keep the right lane clear for folks like me who are taking NW Lovejoy.

2. A driver who wants to turn right on NW Lovejoy cannot execute that turn and see a rider coming off the bridge who wants to go down NW Broadway. That's why there are separate signals; one for a cyclist and one for right turning drivers. The signing for right turning cars is pretty clear here, but the driver may have missed it.

I'd encourage you to call PDOT and record your issues. The number is 503.823.SAFE. The best way to get them to act is to call in so they can record and tally up the numbers to make case on whether this exchange needs clearer signs and directions for drivers and cyclists.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Default Tried... but not till I talk to a human.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 2 View Post
I'd encourage you to call PDOT and record your issues. The number is 503.823.SAFE. The best way to get them to act is to call in so they can record and tally up the numbers to make case on whether this exchange needs clearer signs and directions for drivers and cyclists.
I already tried, but I want to speak to a person, so I'll keep trying until I reach someone.

I think that the bike only sign needs to be actively lit, not retroreflective, the bike signals need to have bike symbols in them (kinda like where the esplanade exits to the Rose Garden area).

Last edited by K'Tesh; 09-08-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:36 PM
Site Admin

This is a regular part of my commute. I've seen cars make the right turn to Lovejoy when the bike lane has the green, most recently a couple of months ago it was a woman on a scooter who I came close to getting creamed by.

My biggest gripe is how short the bike signal seems to be - I'm pretty fast to clip and and get moving and it always turns yellow while I'm still in the intersection. The light favors cars turning to Lovejoy and the bike signal is almost always red when I get there (might be early morning timing; I'm through there a little after 6am).

I can see how this could be confusing if you're not familiar with the intersection, especially in the dark. Likely too for the lady who almost got me with her scooter. I'd like to see some sort of larger, flashing type sign when the bike lane has the right of way, and also a longer green.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Question Maybe something like a crosswalk signal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock View Post
I'd like to see some sort of larger, flashing type sign when the bike lane has the right of way, and also a longer green.
Perhaps include something like a push to activate crosswalk signal? Then you get a slightly longer bike light? Or try optical recognition (similar to what's being used in Beaverton's intersections) to register waiting/approaching bikes.

Just ideas...
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 09-08-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:19 AM
Site Admin

A button would be nice there, though bikes easily trigger the signal. We just have to wait longer to trip it and then it's so dang short.

As I rode westbound down Broadway this morning, I noticed a pair of large, yellow, flashing, diamond shaped pedestrian signs at the crosswalk up the hill from the bridge. Very visable. Something like that at the end of the bridge (with a bikin' dude instead of a walkin' dude) when bikes have the right of way would be great.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Site Admin

I've never had a problem with this intersection. At least the car has a light unlike the EB Hawthorne one. If its dark and your in unfamiliar territory slow down and make sure you know whats going on. I'm betting you blew the light.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Thumbs down No signs of any warnings...

I may have very well blown the light... I had no expectation of a lane crossing the bikelane. I've never seen a intersection quite like this, and there were no signs or lights to alert me prior to me arriving at the intersection...

I went down there on Saturday, and looked for some kind of "stop ahead" sign... (ie, Stop Ahead, right turn permitted without stopping)

Nope, not here...

Still no sign...

A warning would be nice... OOPS!!! Squish...

And when backlit, or dark, that bike signal sign is not obvious. Remember, my first time over this was at night, so it came as a complete surprise.

Be Safe Out There!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 11-12-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Site Admin

Am I misreading the signals up there, or, in the second picture from the bottom is that white truck turning right on red? Or not? that right-pointing green arrow is unexpectedly placed. It should be the rightmost signal.

Lynne "on the lookout for violations of expectation" F

Last edited by lynnef; 11-10-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb No the truck's legal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnef View Post
Am I misreading the signals up there, or, in the second picture from the bottom is that white truck turning right on red?
No, the truck was turning on a green. The red you saw was the "Bike Signal" that I'm talking about. Kinda confusing isn't it?

Be Careful Out There!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 11-10-2008 at 10:40 AM.