Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Site Admin

Default What's up with the bike commute challenge?

So nobody from my company has been able to log any hours to the Bike Commute Challenge site so far. They're still "tweaking" the site even though the 2008 challenge kicked off four days ago. Seems like someone is eating a big bowl of FAIL.

I already know of one guy that's dropping out of the participation because of the trouble (well, he'd officially drop if he could access his profile). Ouch.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Site Admin

Default bcc

The website was working, at least some of the time, over the last couple days. People on my team, including myself, were able to log their Monday and Tuesday.

Dropping the challenge becuase the website is having some problems?
Old 09-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Site Admin

I am also unable to log in; I'm told that I'm "inactive" despite having completed my registration. I've tried to get help from the BTA but so far no response. I have tried multiple days in a row, multiple times. No luck.

I'm supposed to be team captain, but I'm not even announcing the challenge to my coworkers until the website actually works ...
Old 09-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Site Admin

Exclamation Server still down?

There was a post yesterday on the BTA blog about the website crashing from all the traffic. No update on the blog on a fix ETA.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Site Admin

Default same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amynishiki View Post
I am also unable to log in; I'm told that I'm "inactive" despite having completed my registration. I've tried to get help from the BTA but so far no response. I have tried multiple days in a row, multiple times. No luck.

I'm supposed to be team captain, but I'm not even announcing the challenge to my coworkers until the website actually works ...
This happened to me also. The help file said to create a new account, I did that and it worked. My name is now listed twice in my team's roster but our captain said she should be able to delete the unused account.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:30 PM
Chilly Willy

Default What, you wanted competence?

That's pretty typical of my experience with anything associated with the BTA.

Heck, just getting them to respond to voice mail messages left repeatedly over a period of six weeks seems to be too much of a challenge for them.

I've been a donor for the last several years, but I'll be happy when the day arrives when I can send that money to an advocacy group that's professional, effective, and competent. I'd even settle for one that doesn't send me dead tree mailings when I've specifically requested that they don't at this point.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Site Admin

Default Funny you should ask...

Do you, by any chance, live on the west side? Check out the Washington County BTC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
<snip>
I'll be happy when the day arrives when I can send that money to an advocacy group that's professional, effective, and competent.
<snip>

The driver of a motor vehicle may only pass a person operating a bicycle by driving to the left of the bicycle at a safe distance and returning to the lane of travel once the motor vehicle is safely clear of the overtaken bicycle. For the purposes of this paragraph, a “safe distance” means a distance that is sufficient to prevent contact with the person operating the bicycle if the person were to fall into the driver’s lane of traffic....

LCI #2105 Lambchop Rides!
Old 09-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Site Admin

Thanks for the link, DJ. Didn't know they existed.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Site Admin

I tried on Wednesday to log my ride... no such luck, got the "tweaking" message.

Tried again yesterday to log Wednesday's and Thursday's rides... again, no such luck.

I'm the team captain, and I can't even log my rides. Luckily, the other person on our team hasn't been riding to work this week, so I haven't heard any complaints.

But yeah; we're at the end of the first week of the month, and they're still "tweaking" the site? If it doesn't work, just give me a 404 error instead... this whole "tweaking" message makes the BTA look incompetent in the web-department.

RE: Washington Co BTC: their website is much worse than the BTA's website; most everything is still "under construction" and I've been checking in with it for the last 2 years. I'm not sure how effective they are, but at least they aren't focused solely on the City of Portland like the BTA is.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Site Admin

It appears that they have finished "tweaking" the site. I was just able to get in and log commutes for the week.