Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Route Info
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Site Admin

Smile driveway to driveway coast loop tour

OK, so I had planned to do Cycle Oregon but the finances didn't work out this year. (Dang, four kids aged 17-to-8 can put a crimp on the budget!). I had calendared it out as a vacation at work, then forgot about it. Four weeks ago realized I had it and decided to go for a loop tour of the North and Central Oregon Coast. I'd love to hear any comments or suggestions. I'm a fairly strong rider, putting in 20 miles a day on week days and another 100 each weekend on average. I've done four centuries this year and did the Summit to Surf Timberline Century in 6.5 hours (10k elevation gain). I'm leaving Sunday morning. My camping kit and panniers weight about 40 pounds. Here's my preliminary itinerary, but its flexible:

Sunday - SE Beaverton (Scholls Heights area) to Stub Stewart State Park via 219/Hwy8/Banks-to-Vernonia Trail
Monday - Stub Stewart SP to Ft. Stevens in Astoria via Mist/Jewell/Olney
Tuesday - Cape Lookout SP
Wednesday - Waldport
Thursday - Marys Peak via Hwy 34
Friday - Salem (bro's house) via 223 to Kings Valley/Monmouth-Independence/Buena Vista Ferry
Saturday - back to Bvtn through Champoeg SP
Old 09-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Site Admin

I'll answer my own question: The first three days were great. Put @ 200 miles behind me in the first three days. Only made it to Beverly Beach on Day 4. Stopped and did laundry, then headed about 30 miles up the Alsea Valley on Hwy 34 on Thursday (Riveredge CG). Friday was another "easy" day, as I only did 28 miles (although the 4000 feet of elevation gain to the campground on Marys Peak was a bit much). I ended up riding to the north side of Corvallis on Hwy 99, where my brother met me for breakfast and then ferried the bike and I to Rickreall, from which we rode to Beaverton. Finished about 6:00 tonight. Tired. But a great week of riding. Put 422 miles on the odometer.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Site Admin

Sounds like a nice trip. Glad you could do it.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Site Admin

Sounds like a fantastic trip. How was OR 34? Light traffic? Good scenery? Fun climbs & descents?
Old 09-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclotouriste View Post
Sounds like a fantastic trip. How was OR 34? Light traffic? Good scenery? Fun climbs & descents?
OR 34 was both one of the best parts of the trip, and one of the worst parts of the trip. For a good 50 miles after Waldport there is very little (<24") shoulder, and I'm including the gravel. On a few areas, primarily blind hairpin curves, there is NO shoulder. Really, none. I would NOT take this road with anything less than 1 1/4 tires because you absolutely have to ride off the shoulder in deep gravel in some places, even in the weeds in other places. Taking the lane was not an option, because of the blind 45 mph curves. On the other hand, there is blessedly little traffic. Perhaps a car every 10 minutes or so. Whenever I got to a curve, I stopped, listened, and pedalled like hell to get around the curve. And it is absolutely gorgeous and peaceful, running through the Alsea River Valley as it does.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Site Admin

I love the central Valley during this time of year... And yeah, you're pretty brave to take hwy 34!

Sounds like you had a lot of fun, and good weather, too!

Last edited by Haven_kd7yct; 09-16-2008 at 08:44 AM. Reason: darn spelling
Old 09-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Smile Sounds like you had some fun...

I'd say that sounds like a great trip...