Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Site Admin

Unhappy Stupid is as stupid does...

WTF people?! Twice today, I'm pedaling along in the bike lane, first on Interstate, then on Vancouver, and a cyclist on a cross street makes a right onto the street I'm on. Both times running a stop sign, both times NOT looking where they were going, both times they nearly jumped out of their saddles when I jammed on my brakes and then rang my bell. I've never understood how people can live so long wearing blindfolds. I've seen people jogging along with their giant SUV baby strollers, wearing the obligatory ear buds of course, on the sidewalk and not pausing or looking when they cross streets! Of course, I don't understand because I don't have kids, right? Woops, I'm straying...

08 Surly LHT
01 Triumph Bonneville (hey, it's got two wheels!)
Old 08-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Site Admin

I hate that! Happens to me now and then riding north on Interstate at Larabee. Riders come down Larabee off Broadway and run the light to make a right onto Interstate. I've been lucky the two worst times, there were no cars in the lane, so I could just take the lane to pass the moron while I cussed them out. Stupid, rude behavior indeed.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Site Admin

Today as I was turning on to the Murray Blvd bike lane from a side street I thought hmm - maybe I should look to the left for other bikers. I almost lost my balance and fell over. Total Dufus move -- gotta work on that
Old 09-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Site Admin

I have to admit, I've been guilty of not looking for cyclists while turning right several times. I'm getting better every day, however.

I've been used to thinking, "bike lane, that's all mine! No need to stop before turning right." Just as bad as your average motorist.

Keep your eyes peeled!