Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org)

Go Back   Portland Bike Forums (by BikePortland.org) > General Discussion > Report your Close Calls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Unhappy Kamikaze iPlodder

Autumn and Winter is on its way... Made me think about this close call... I don't know why I didn't share this earlier...

Last winter Mom was taking me home in her car after dinner. As we were doing a left turn (Nimbus onto Hall), I spotted the crosswalk signal go, but didn't see the ped as Mom started the turn... I suddenly saw a dark figure moving to our left, headed the same way we were. I gave my Mom a warning telling her "Stop!!! Stop!!! Stop!!!", she did, but was surprised by my actions... then I pointed out the oblivious iPlodder walking in the crosswalk.

The ped had started to cross before the light had changed, was wearing black, at night, in the rain, crossing 5 lanes of traffic, while listening to huge headphones. I'm certain that she would have gone under the car, had she not activated the crossing signal.

Mom was pretty shaken. Ped had no clue.

Riding or Driving, Be careful out there... Peds get clobbered way too often in this area. They just don't get how vulnerable they are. I'm just glad that I didn't have to post that I was involved in the injury or fatal ped incident that night.

Rubberside Down!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 08-19-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:43 AM
Site Admin

Default One of many problem areas

I cross this intersection several times a day. In any 10 minute period of time, drivers violate the cross walk laws at least half a dozen times. I have complained to the Beaverton Police, but I have never seen any inforcement. is there any way I can find out if Beaverton has ever writen a ticket for cross walk violations?

By the way, it is not illegal to wear dark cloths and headphones. It is illegal to enter the crosswalk with someone there. I shouldn't have to be ready to jump out of the way everytime I cross the street, but I am.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 08-20-2008 at 08:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb You might be right... dead right...

Quote:
Originally Posted by t27 View Post
I cross this intersection several times a day. In any 10 minute period of time, drivers violate the cross walk laws at least half a dozen times. I have complained to the Beaverton Police, but I have never seen any inforcement. is there any way I can find out if Beaverton has ever writen a ticket for cross walk violations?

By the way, it is not illegal to wear dark cloths and headphones. It is illegal to enter the crosswalk with someone there. I shouldn't have to be ready to jump out of the way everytime I cross the street, but I am.
Violations? I'd call the Mayor's hotline: (503) 526-3700

Clothing choices? You're right, I'm sure that is possibly legal to walk naked, but you can be dead right... All I'm saying is that people walking should take a measure of care to prevent themselves from coming to grief.

Be Careful Out There!
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 08-20-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:03 AM
Site Admin

Default we are all traffic

I was lightly tapped by a car this morning as I crossed MLK, on foot, with my dog. I had the green light and the little white "walk now" guy. I started into the intersection and noticed a car turning left onto MLK. It very soon became clear that they didn't see me, I started to back up (hard to do with a dog) and, at the last second, jettisoned both the dog leash behind me and my cup of coffee at the clueless fool's windshield. That got his attention and he stopped just as I had started my jump up onto his hood.

Not hurt, and thank god the puppy (11 mos.) didn't run into the 9am MLK traffic. I probably would have gotten arrested for assault if my dog had gotten hurt. The guy pulled over and was obviously as shaken as I was. He wasn't talking on the phone, he wasn't (that I could tell) distracted or drunk or high. He just plain didn't see me, in broad daylight, with a dog (and no, it wasn't raining at the time).

The ironic thing was that just seconds earlier I had been thinking to myself how nice it would be for the neighborhood if MLK was only two lanes...

Eternal vigilance, people, no matter what mode of transport you're using.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Site Admin

Default Night time pedestrian clothing choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Tesh View Post
I'm sure that is possibly legal to walk naked, but you can be dead right... All I'm saying is that people walking should take a measure of care to prevent themselves from coming to grief.
Actually, walking naked would probably make you highly visible to drivers, day or night
Old 08-21-2008, 08:09 AM
Site Admin

Default Naked Wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruizer View Post
Actually, walking naked would probably make you highly visible to drivers, day or night
I still doubt anyone would bother to look at me, though I'm sure my untanned torso is so pale it's probably luminescent.

TMI!
Old 08-21-2008, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Lightbulb Shining happy people glowing down the road...

I don't know what glows more, my bike or my belly...

Still, Be Careful Out There...
K'Tesh

Last edited by K'Tesh; 08-21-2008 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Site Admin

"Actually, walking naked would probably make you highly visible to drivers, day or night" cruiser

There you go! And with a red helium balloon tied to your wee-wee, double the visibility! I think I'll just go with following the traffic signals, eternal vigilance and leaving the i-pod at home. Thanks for the laugh!
Old 05-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
Site Admin

Talking Found out something last week...

After a 2nd encounter with an oblivious ped crossing this intersection, I mentioned it again to the Beaverton Bike Advisory Committee when members of the Public Works Department were present. They assured me that they would look into it, and as wsbob can attest, we got news last week on their findings.

They are putting in a street light at that intersection...

See Something? Say Something!!! (you might actually get results)
K'Tesh